PDA

View Full Version : Sow with cubs

Stan Cunningham
08-10-2013, 12:23 PM
This sow with 3 cubs was coming right down the beach to us, but unfortunately a bear viewing group tried to get closer with point and shoots and she left the area. I managed to get this shot before she was out of view.
I liked the landscape feel and the colors in the background. I like to snow in the upper right but was curious if you guys thought it was a distraction. I wish the other cub was facing us but it wasn't a dealbreaker for me.
Canon 5D Mark III, 500 F4, F8 1/640 sec, ISO 1600 Manual exp.
LR 4 shadows, clarity and vibrance
PS shadows highlight and levels
NIk Filters Viveza for structure, color efex for contrast, polarizer, and darken/lighten center filters.
Comments also improve my images so please make them.

Grady Weed
08-10-2013, 01:12 PM
From my perspective, the crop woks better if made from just below the snow and mountain. With her looking right at you it makes up for the cubs eyes, the left eye is kind of half and half, not fully directed toward you and one with the behind showing. But lets face it, a sow and two cubs is a keeper anyway you cut it, unless they are out of focus. I like it. Just for the record, I cannot see the third one. Unless it is right at moms feet.

Nancy Bell
08-10-2013, 04:23 PM
Nice curious look by the mom with nice lighting outlining her fur. I understand that the snow is part of your experience but for the viewer it is more just a bright patch that draws the eye away from the bear family. I like that you captured the bears on a bit of a rise, giving some additional separation from the bkgd.

Markus Jais
08-11-2013, 03:39 AM
Great "bear-scape". Like the eye contact and the colors in the image.

A tighter crop without the snow might also work.

Markus

Andreas Liedmann
08-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Hi Stan,
good `bear scape `as Markus stated.
Like the placement of the main subjects in the frame, and the wide landscape in the gives a nice depth to the image, but i would remove , if this fits your ethics, the snow field.
I do feel the main subjects need more tonal contrast and depth to stand out more , giving them more attention otherwise are looking a bit lost in all the nice greenery , just my thoughts.

I understand in parts that you are using NIK Viveza and CEFEX for contrast , but what are you using polarizer and D/L center for........................? Just a thought.............!
Go the harder way and try to learn that stuff in PS.

TFS Andreas

Brendon Cremer
08-12-2013, 04:10 AM
Very nice scene well captured. Agree with the removal of the snow its more of a distraction than adding anything to the image IMO. Perhaps a 16:9 crop may work too. The bear looking at you is a great plus for the image but as mentioned above they do need a little mid tome adjustment.

Steve Kaluski
08-12-2013, 04:39 AM
Hi Stan, I like the placement & format, but I also quite like the idea Grady suggested to, perhaps an alternative? The image does have a magenta touch, pulling the Tint back does help and retains the lush grass. Adding also a mid tone brings back a bit more contrast & detail, but based on the OP you then need to adjust the Saturation, as this is then very much enhanced. Obviously, if they were on the move you have to take your chances, but having the butt of the cub is not ideal IMHO and perhaps waiting may have given a better opportunity?

TFS
Steve

edwardselfe
08-12-2013, 09:31 AM
I had a play with this and I think that most people hinted at a smaller crop. I think that the slope of the hill and the vulnerability of the family on the edge adds to the image, so I wouldn't straighten at all. I toned down the greens a little and added a little more sharpening, plus I pulled down on the shadows as I felt it looked a little unnatural for her front to be bright when she's clearly 'lit' from behind. I don't know if you agree with the process, but I also reduced the clarity of the background with the brush in LR to reduce the effect of those specular highlights in the grass. It draws more attention to the subject, but if you aren't happy with that, then no worries. The image is great without - the subjects are very engaging and I think you captured a great moment with them and the female has a very attractive look to her face.
Ed

Nancy Bell
08-12-2013, 04:33 PM
I like the repost. It incorporates many of the suggestions. The bear family is clearly the focus in this image, but it still shows the habitat. I would clone out the remaining white in the upper right corner.