PDA

View Full Version : storing a lens to avoid fungus

van bogaert erik
08-09-2013, 04:39 PM
hello, what is the best way to store a lens (300mm f2.8 with camera attached) when not in use .

I leave the camera and lens in the backpack when not in use with silica gel in the bag and i leave the backpack flap open for a while ,
Th backpack i store in a cabinet .
I live in europe so its is not so humid .

is this safe

Grady Weed
08-09-2013, 08:07 PM
I leave my Canon MK2n with 300 2.8 attached in my Tamrac 10 backpack all the time with no issues. Of course the backpack in inside my home. We live Maine, USA, extreme temps from 30 below to 105 above. I've never had an issue. I gone in my Kayak, camera and lens in my lap covered in a towel when not in use, no issues. I've used it in a camo blind or tent if you will all day in 100 degree temps, no problems. I do keep it cleaned monthly or daily if in use. No fungus or mold ever seen.

John Chardine
08-09-2013, 08:12 PM
I think fungus is mainly an issue in situations of chronic humidity and heat such as would be experienced in the tropics with no air conditioning. I don't think there is much to worry about in temperate climates.

By way of a postscript, if you store your gear in a locked safe, humidity can build up inside during the warmer months and it's a good idea to use some sort of dehumidifying system such as is used by people who store guns in cabinets.

Gary Kinard
08-10-2013, 10:25 AM
I live in Asia, in the tropical rain forest. How long will my lenses last without any kind of protection? No air conditioning, No protection what so ever.

Grady Weed
08-10-2013, 01:20 PM
As long as you use common sense, keep it clean, do not drop it or dunk it in water, a very long time....

John Chardine
08-10-2013, 01:41 PM
Gary- One factor is how well sealed the lenses are to the outside. Lenses that are not well sealed may deteriorate quickly in hot, humid conditions.