PDA

View Full Version : Really a Tiger

Craig Markham
05-06-2008, 06:59 PM
I visited the Oregon Zoo in Portland for the first time to practice large animal photography in prep for a Tanzania trip -- only to find that the Serengeti exhibit is closed for renovation for the next 2 years. Not much was happening in other exhibits either, with the cool, damp spring weather. I was starting to feel rather bummed at wasting a day. However, as I wandered by the tiger enclosure, I found a relatively unobstructed view of the tigress lying in the shade (this zoo is generally not very photographer-friendly, with wires, bars or dirty glass between the viewer and the animals nearly everywhere). I set up my rig, and, proving once again that you never know what will happen next, the male emerged from the building, sidled up to the female, gave her a couple of love bites and jumped on her briefly. With the 500mm on board, I was too close to get an overall image, but I think this more intimate head view was better anyway. It more than made up for an otherwise disappointing day. I hope it did the same for them. I used Paintshop ProX to remove a large chew toy by the female and reconstructed her left elbow to fill the resulting space.

Canon 1D Mk3, 500mm, Gitzo G1227, Wimberley II, f/4.0, 1/500 sec, ISO 800.
Minor contrast/brightness adjustment, full-frame, RAW.

Steve Wheeler
05-06-2008, 07:26 PM
This is a wonderful image Craig! I agree with you about the more intimate feel of the head view... Especially given the intimacy of the moment. Exposure looks dead on to me with great poses by both. If I had my druthers I might elect to have a bit more room in front of them... Just looks a bit crowded to me. Having said that though... I would've loved to have taken this image!

Nicely done...

Steve

Van Hilliard
05-07-2008, 05:54 AM
I love this. I would count myself fortunate indeed if I got a single photo of this quality from an outing. As both you and Steve noted, the intimacy is what makes the photo exceptional. The color is outstanding as well.

Gus Cobos
05-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Craig,
Congrats on this killer image...I like it very much, I love the up close head shot and action...:D