PDA

View Full Version : Sigma 180 mm non os lens

stuart wanuck
08-09-2013, 02:50 PM
General thoughts regarding the sigma 180 mmm non is lens for
macrophotography?

stuart wanuck
08-09-2013, 02:55 PM
Thoughts reg sigma 180 mm non os lens for macro photography?

Randy Stout
08-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Stuart:

I have had this lens for several years, use it primarily for butterflies. It is a very good lens, sharp, nice contrast, really no issues except the finnish tends to peel off i some areas.

Image stabilization is less effective at very close distances, so haven't really felt limited by the lack of OS. I shoot with some form of support whenever possible, but one of my favorite venues doesn't allow any support, and it is possible with care to do well at fairly slow shutter speeds if you are steady.

Cheers

Randy

Diane Miller
08-10-2013, 06:30 PM
I've also used this lens for several years. It's very good in general but needed significant focus calibration with my Canon 5D2 and less so with the 5D3. Maybe just my particular copy...

PhilCook
08-10-2013, 06:48 PM
Never owned or used one, but I know a few people who have and the results are very impressive

John Chardine
08-10-2013, 06:49 PM
That's what I've heard too. One of the best macro lenses out there.

Randy Stout
08-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Stuart:

One other thought. I haven't researched it recently, but my recollection is that the 150mm Sigma macro of the same generation was marginally sharper than the 180, but I wanted the extra working distance, so went with the 180

Cheers

Randy

DickLudwig
08-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Stuart:

One other thought. I haven't researched it recently, but my recollection is that the 150mm Sigma macro of the same generation was marginally sharper than the 180, but I wanted the extra working distance, so went with the 180

Cheers

Randy
This is correct the Sigma 150mm is a bit sharper than the 180mm. In addition the 150mm has f/2.8 which gives a bit more light to compose by, especially when using an extension tubes. I have this lens and still use it all the time.

David Burren
08-16-2013, 08:13 PM
I used to have this lens, and loved it. Eventually sold it when I realised I hadn't done serious macro work for about a year, plus realised that the AF didn't work with my 7D. I suppose could have tracked down getting the lens updated, but I just sold it and used the money to fund some other gear.
Presumably a version being bought today would AF with the current Canon bodies (not sure of the Nikon situation if that applies to you).

I bought it before the 150mm even existed. The 150mm OS macro would be high on my list of candidates if I needed a macro lens again, but I do have fond memories of the 180mm.

nick clayton
08-27-2013, 04:17 PM
I bought this lens earlier this year from a friend after wanting one for some time; this was mainly due to this review by Juza http://www.juzaphoto.com/article.php?l=en&article=65, Juza said he regretted selling his for the Canon version because the Sigma IQ was good as the Canon. The thing I particularly like over the 150mm version is the 180mm renders the background out of focus better. I prefer to use mine on a tripod in the early morning when insects are less active therefore the os doesn't matter to me. Here's a couple of photos I have recently taken with this lens. http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/112508-Macro-and-Flora-Image-of-the-Week-for-the-week-ending-June-14th-2013-Nick-Clayton-Common-Blue-on-Cowslip http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/112932-Macro-and-Flora-Image-of-the-Week-for-the-week-ending-July-5th-2013-Nick-Clayton-Small-Copper