PDA

View Full Version : Common darter on water mint

Jonathan Ashton
08-09-2013, 06:43 AM
Tripod Canon 7D Canon 180mm macro ISO 320 1/250 sec f11
This I suspect is a teneral, I found it in the pond on the stem of one of the plants, I managed to coax it onto a stem of grass where I photographed it and then I placed it on this water mint which I put on my mickey mouse tripod so I could choose the background. I applied my usual sharpening mask then I masked it again and reduced the sharpening on the plant.
All C&C welcome.

Norm Dulak
08-09-2013, 07:08 AM
This is a beauty, Jon. The super sharp, colorful image set off against a pleasing background is fine in all respects. I wouldn't change a thing.

Anita Bower
08-09-2013, 08:33 AM
I was hoping to find flower photos, but see that insects are the main subjects of recent posts. I feel rather incompetent to comment on them, but will give it a try.
Lovely! I agree with Norm. You did a super job with the background. What a great idea to use your old tripod to hold the flower in front of a pleasing bg. I'm going to try it.

stuart wanuck
08-09-2013, 08:43 AM
Very very nice!

Diane Miller
08-09-2013, 10:33 AM
This is just stunningly beautiful, technically and esthetically! Doesn't get better than that.

The darther remains the subject even in the presence of the larger flower, which is lovely enough to stand on its own. Well done!

Jonathan Ashton
08-09-2013, 02:18 PM
Thank you very much everyone.
Hey Anita never be afraid to offer an opinion on insect photography, - especially mine!! Your comments are always welcome and encouraged, insects may not be your bag as it were but I am sure you will see things that I would not and vice versa.
For example there is a highlight on the head now some may or may not feel the need to remove it, I chose not to because when you look at the (overall) lighting pattern on the whole of the image, you would get to think there would have / should have been one there - even if it wasn't!!

Anita Bower
08-09-2013, 02:50 PM
Thank you very much everyone.
Hey Anita never be afraid to offer an opinion on insect photography, - especially mine!! Your comments are always welcome and encouraged, insects may not be your bag as it were but I am sure you will see things that I would not and vice versa.
For example there is a highlight on the head now some may or may not feel the need to remove it, I chose not to because when you look at the (overall) lighting pattern on the whole of the image, you would get to think there would have / should have been one there - even if it wasn't!!
Thanks. I, too, thought the highlights on the little critter were a positive.

Mitch Haimov
08-09-2013, 10:55 PM
Very, very well done! You chose an excellent BG and placed your subject far enough away that it is soft but not so far OOF that colors all run together. Your sharpness and detail are excellent as usual. Technically and artistically stellar. As strong as this image is, I would like it even better without the second stem in the LR corner.

Jonathan Ashton
08-10-2013, 02:12 AM
Mitch I looked at that stem, if I had removed it then the main stem would have been disproportionally bare and to me it would have looked as though it had been removed. ...................... Having said that, I don't know if it would necessarily be apparent to someone else? The point is I know how the plant looks but if others don't I would get away with it. Same old issue for me I am always torn between trying to make things presentable and leaving them natural.

Mitch Haimov
08-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Understood...very fine image either way.

Diane Miller
08-10-2013, 10:35 AM
I think the second stem balances the insect nicely and provides a base to the image. Could maybe wish it weren't just touching that leaf but that's really nitpicky.

Nancy Bell
08-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Stunning composition of detailed foreground elements positioned against a soft, colorful bkgd! I like the 2nd lower stem. It adds balance and prevents the main stem from being too centered, too straight and too bare.