PDA

View Full Version : Scratch Art upcoming theme

Kerry Perkins
08-07-2013, 10:23 PM
Hello all, we have a theme coming up called "Scratch Art" and I wanted to talk about it a bit in case anyone is wondering what that means.

Scratch art is a technique of scratching lines into a black layer of wax to reveal a white clay layer below. After the scratching is completed, color may be added to the lines as desired. There are some amazing examples of this on the Internet, including the work of Cathy Sheeter, a wonderful practitioner of the craft. She explains the process here - http://www.cathysheeter.com/scratchboard.html

This bobcat image is an example of what can be done digitally. You can also use color gradients with a layer of black above and use a small, hard brush to brush away the black. Use your imagination!

Nancy Bell
08-08-2013, 08:19 AM
Thanks, Kerry for the explanation and suggestions. I was wondering about that.

Diane Miller
08-08-2013, 05:38 PM
It's off-topic here but I can't figure out where else to put it.

Re the Toned Images upcoming theme -- are cross-processing and other similar color tricks OK? Your examples are just duotone etc.

Cheryl Slechta
08-08-2013, 07:03 PM
Hi, Kerry, it looks like one of your kitties:S3: As I remember, Scratch Art was a difficult theme for me.

Cheryl Slechta
08-08-2013, 07:03 PM
Hi, Diane, I'll defer to Kerry on that one.:S3:

It's off-topic here but I can't figure out where else to put it.

Re the Toned Images upcoming theme -- are cross-processing and other similar color tricks OK? Your examples are just duotone etc.

Kerry Perkins
08-09-2013, 11:27 AM
Diane, I would prefer to keep the toned theme to actual toned images, which cross-processing is not. I think anything up to quad-tone would be acceptable. We could certainly do another theme on cross-processing. I like to use that technique myself! We need to add some themes to the list, so I will put that one in. Thanks!