PDA

View Full Version : Meadow grasshopper

Jonathan Ashton
08-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Monopod,Canon 7D Canon 180mm macro ISO 200 1/125 sec f11
This was taken on some local heathland, all C&C welcome.

Mitch Haimov
08-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Once again you handled the DOF well, Jonathan. Interesting hopper, very nice BG that complements the subject well. I do wish you had been a little further to the right while maintaining the sensor parallel to the hopper--partially to move it a bit further back in the frame but also so we could see a tad more of the face. I also think the farthest right leaf/spine entering the frame from bottom could go since it is hanging there without it's attachment to the stem (possibly a couple on the the left as well, but there is no gap between them and the main body so they aren't distracting like the one on the right).

Jonathan Ashton
08-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Mitch I agree I tried to get more to the right but as you can see he was on gorse bush and I was sitting on one at the time and it became increasingly unlikely that I was going to go further to the right:w3

Norm Dulak
08-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Nice shot, Jon.

This is an interesting critter, and the color and sharpness are both excellent. I too like the background and agree with Mitch that more of the face would have been better. Since the subject is facing to the right, you might also consider cropping a little off the left side, to put the subject more off center.

Jason Stander
08-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Hi Jonathan... I think that this is beautiful... excellent detail and exposure... I am going against the grain... I like the pose and angle captured... beautiful bg... I would have cropped it ever so slightly... otherwise great standard as per usual... WD!

Mitch Haimov
08-09-2013, 12:38 AM
C'mon, Jonathan, aren't you willing to suffer for your art? The hopper looks comfortable enough on that gorse bush...

Jonathan Ashton
08-09-2013, 03:47 AM
Thanks very much everyone, Mitch - those spines can reach the parts most spines don't:bg3: I have some other shots taken from that area.

Mitch Haimov
08-09-2013, 08:36 AM
:Whoa!: