PDA

View Full Version : butterfly

Nancy Bell
08-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Another image from 11,000 ft. in the Colorado Rocky Mountains. When I reviewed my images at home from this series, this is the only one with a curled tongue. If someone knows the name of this butterfly I would be most appreciative.

5D Mark III, 1/250, Canon 100 f2.8 macro, f6.3 ISO 1250

C & C most appreciated

Mitch Haimov
08-06-2013, 09:41 PM
Very well done, Nancy! I like your subject and perch, nice sharpness. Coiled proboscis is a plus. I would prefer more negative space at right (perhaps twice as much), and perhaps slightly less on the left. Also, you may want to remove the leaf(?) at the bottom since it is clipped; I think the image would be cleaner without it.

The wings remind me of lichen on a rock. Camouflage?

stuart wanuck
08-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Sharp detail nice

Jonathan Ashton
08-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Beautifully delineated well focused and pin sharp. Excellent colours and an ideal background. I don't know if you get orange tips (anthocaris cardamine) in your country but that is what it looks like to me.

Nancy Bell
08-07-2013, 03:37 PM
Thank you all! Jonathan, your suggestion of Orange Tips got me on the right track. The colorado orange tip is described as a spring butterfly. We also have something called a Large Marble (Euchloe ausonides) that is a summer butterfly and looks like a good match. Mitch, I like your observation that the wing pattern could be useful camouflage since it resembles lichen.

Jason Stander
08-08-2013, 03:06 PM
Hi Nancy... wow that is beautiful... detail and comp is sublime... bg is spot on and love the curl.... VWD!:w3