PDA

View Full Version : It SHOULD be a copperhead, but it's a cottonmouth (I think)

Linwood Ferguson
08-06-2013, 11:33 AM
http://www.captivephotons.com/Nature/Six-Mile-Cypress-Slough/i-P9sKQhd/2/X2/Six%20Mile%20Cypress%20-%2020130805%20-%20003-X2.jpg

This guy was hidden in the weeds in Six Mile Cypress (Ft. Myers Florida). It had begun to pour rain and I was heading back to the car and saw him. I stopped long enough to get set up and wait until he moved into an opening. I'm not sure if I'm happy about the leaves in the view, but I wasn't going to get down there and rearrange.

I am pretty sure it's a juvenile cottonmouth, not a copperhead, based on the eye stripe and, well, that copperheads are rare this far south. Anyone know for sure? But I liked the clean, wet looking head with all those metallic colors, and how nice and sharp the lens left it.

D800, 400/F2.8 + 1.4TC, 1/40th (Tripod), F7.1, ISO 400.

The leaves were really bright, I took them down over a stop. Suggestions welcomed.

jack williamson
08-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Snakes are difficult subjects, hard to get a shot without clutter and also hard to get the whole snake in the frame and sharp. The head looks well exposed and sharp. This is a juvenile cottonmouth. Nasty bite!

Jack

Steve Kaluski
08-07-2013, 08:09 AM
Hi Linwood, rather you than me photographing this one, even if it is only a juvenile!

You can see why they are so well hidden based on their own camouflage, they blend in so well to their environment, however photographing leaves you little option in trying to get some separation between subject & environment. I agree with you, the leaves are a bit bright and perhaps could be toned down even more. IQ doesn't look too bad based on 1/40sec, but using a tripod certainly helped. I did try also blurring the BKG to try to give better separation and give more emphasis to the head, I don't think it helps sadly. However what you could try is say a vertical crop 16 x 9 which still retains the 'S" shape but trims a bit more either side away? A small Curves adjustment to the mid tones helps, likewise a little more selective sharpening on the head.

TFS
Steve

PS Just for the future, the maximum height permitted is 900px

Linwood Ferguson
08-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Many thanks to you both. It was interesting to run across him, I've seen many adults in their dull black/grey colors. When I saw this one I was almost certain I had seen a copperhead, but convinced myself (almost) otherwise when I looked at the photo. I'll play a bit with the crop as well, but it will never make a great photo -- but it was a nice head shot, as well as a bit of a surprise. :)

Steve Kaluski
08-08-2013, 10:14 AM
but it was a nice head shot, as well as a bit of a surprise

Taking that on board Linwood, this was where I was going, it might bolster your own thoughts and bring more emphasis to the head?

Steve