PDA

View Full Version : Green Gardens

Dick Huberty
08-05-2013, 09:12 PM
On my recent trip to Newfoundland, I took the 9 KM hike into the Green Garden area of Gros Morne NP. I was treated to this beautiful view of what they call the stacks. It was mid afternoon, but probably the best light for this photo as the mountain side would be in the shade during the golden hour. It was a little hazy from fires up in Labrador, Used my Canon 5D Mark lll with EF 24-105mm f/4 lens. It was taken on tripod, 1/125 sec f/20 at 55mm.
Your thoughts on composition, lighting and PP would be greatly appreciated.

Roman Kurywczak
08-05-2013, 11:21 PM
Hey Dick,
I want to chime in because this thread speaks to me for a number of reasons but mostly with your self assessment to the time of day.....there is no PP'ing known to man that can fake time of day! I don't say this to be harsh but rather as a learning experience.....getting out early or staying out late for the golden hour is entirely in your control!.....As I teach and judge around the country...this is the #1 mistake I see made that is entirely in your control.....and the easiest to fix! The scene as presented is ordinary....but given the right light.....can be extraordinary! That is how critical time of day is (unless you went IR)! I also want to point out that moving a few steps left....would give you separation between the trees and the rocks....again in your control! these are suggestions that will come to you as second nature the more you work the craft.....and I want to stress this is in no means designed to be a harsh criticism...just for your growth. Compositionally, I like the curve...but time of day is really hurting this! The shadows are straight down...PP...will not help this. Sorry... and please take this in the intent that was intended.

Don Railton
08-05-2013, 11:39 PM
Hi Dick

Agree its a beautiful view... Love the flowers in the foreground. I also agree that the lighting is not optimal... its very harsh and the haze obvious. I do think you can do a little more in PP however by applying a luminosity mask and pulling back the highlights, and then adding a bit more contrast. there are 'stickies' written by Robert Ameruso at the top of the Landscape forum that explain this process.. I Have had a shot on my work laptop with a very old version of PS and thought it looked better, but cant get it to load..

thanks for showing
DON

Andrew McLachlan
08-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Hi Dick, I would agree with Roman in that the time of day is not helping this scene. I would prefer to see the rock island without the evergreens merging with its form and a few steps to the left would fix this. I love shooting such scenes early or late in the day for the longer exposures that will render the ocean's wave action as a smooth blur. Looking forward to more of your landscapes.

Dick Huberty
08-07-2013, 01:26 AM
Thanks Roman, Don, and Andrew for your honest feedback. Your observation of stepping to the left to get space between the pine tree and rock below is something I should have known. When I took a workshop from Jack Graham in Monument Valley he harped on keeping space between elements in the composition. Your reinforcement of that will help get it through my thick skull. I hope he doesn't give me a bad time about it when i see him in the Tetons in the fall. The particular area of Gros Morne is definitely worthy of working to get a good landscape. The more I work at getting good landscapes, the more I appreciate the challenge. That challenge is why I love this aspect of photography. I have no ambition of being a pro or semi pro, but an amateur who can get a few stunning photos like I see on this site.

Morkel Erasmus
08-07-2013, 06:42 AM
I like how you framed the composition here, but my overall thoughts resound 100% with Roman's thorough critique up top.
Overall the sharpness also isn't what I'd expect, and perhaps the time of day is again to blame (heat/haze), but you could sharpen this some more in PP.
Would like to see more of your landscape/travel photos here, Dick! This is one of the best forums on the net to learn/grow if you post with the right frame of mind.
:cheers:

Lyle Gruby
08-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Agree the time of day hurt here. I also struggle with foreground objects and usually have an duh moment as soon as I see the shot on my monitor. The only other thing I'll add is to watch your hyperfocal distance, it doesn't look like your flowers are in focus. That's another of my own problems--mainly because I don't slow down enough. Looking forward to more.