PDA

View Full Version : Milky Way and Lightning

Maureen Allen
08-05-2013, 03:58 PM
I was in Yankeetown FL a couple of weeks ago hoping to get some Milky Way images in a very remote and DARK place. The lightning in the clouds was a bonus and I thought it gave the image a rather OOTB feel :S3:

Cheryl Slechta
08-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Maureen, what a great image! The cloud gives it a very dramatic look but the sky is majestic and otherworldly. Well done:cheers:

Jackie Schuknecht
08-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Amazing to have so much going on in one image Maureen. Very cool:c3:!

Nancy Bell
08-05-2013, 06:13 PM
Wow...love the diagonal Milky Way with the stars above and the glow of the clouds below. Nice foreground with the silhouettes of trees & smooth water with the pale reflected light. That one bright white spot in the clouds, in the tree branches, catches my eye a bit too much. Very well seen & captured!

Maureen Allen
08-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Nancy, I did get many images without the lightning and I was pleased with them. This one struck me (pun intended) because of the lightning illuminated clouds and the way the MW seemed to dwarf the powerful storm.

Diane Miller
08-05-2013, 07:01 PM
WOW! The Milky Way AND lightning! That is just totally not fair! I'm moving to FL at the first opportunity!

Steve Adkins
08-06-2013, 04:35 AM
Awesome image, Maureen!!

Mitch Carucci
08-06-2013, 05:16 AM
Great one! Darkness is becoming hard to find. Didn't think you would have such a clear and dark sky in Florida with all the humidity, especially in Summer.
How long of an exposure did you use? The clouds and foreground foliage don't seem to show any motion. Must have been a still night. I love the cool tones of the M.Way contrasted with the warm glow near the horizon reflected in the water. All very lovely.

Hazel Grant
08-06-2013, 08:00 AM
Amazing that you could get both elements in the photo. wondering about camera settings. I'm still working on night images and stars are hard to get right. Love the reflections of the lightning on the "earth" elements.

Maureen Allen
08-06-2013, 01:32 PM
Great one! Darkness is becoming hard to find. Didn't think you would have such a clear and dark sky in Florida with all the humidity, especially in Summer.

It is difficult to find dark skies. This site has been of some help -> Dark Sky Finder (http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sky/) The haze and humidity are definitely issues here in the summer (foggy lens syndrome is a constant threat.) But on the right night, in the right place, it's amazing.

Maureen Allen
08-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Amazing that you could get both elements in the photo. wondering about camera settings. I'm still working on night images and stars are hard to get right. Love the reflections of the lightning on the "earth" elements.

Camera Settings: Nikon d3s, 14-24mm f/2.8 @ 18mm, ISO 2500, f/2.8, 25 sec

Roman Kurywczak (http://roaminwithroman.com/) has a great ebook on his site that is very helpful when learning to photograph the night skies.

Judy Howle
08-06-2013, 02:53 PM
A really terrific image Maureen, well done! I've never tried a night sky, too intimidating for me I guess. Maybe one of these days. I'd have to use the 5D Mk II and 24 - 105 f/4 L lens.

Kerry Perkins
08-06-2013, 09:04 PM
I love your deep sky images Maureen, and this one is really spectacular! What a bonus to get the cloud lightning in the shot. Great composition with the foliage on the right and the water to reflect the glow. Super!