PDA

View Full Version : Elephant Seal Flipping Sand - Detail

BillTyler
08-05-2013, 01:36 AM
Elephant seals on the beach periodically dig down with their flippers and toss sand over their backs. This seal is in the midst of a flip.

Canon 5Dmk3, Canon 500mm f/4 with 1.4x extender
1/320 f/11, ISO 200

Gabriela Plesea
08-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Hi Bill, a very interesting capture and great angle:S3: I personally would have liked the flippers to be sharper although my guess is, your intention was to achieve this overall effect of motion blur. I might have chosen a higher ISO, the flipper is such an attractive focal point with those long claws. I am very interested what the others have to say, this is indeed an intriguing image and I have looked at it quite a few times today- arty and inspiring, it left me wondering as well as passionately interested in creating more images that force the audience to think. I certainly look forward to more posts from you!

Kind regards,

Morkel Erasmus
08-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Certainly is dynamic, Bill.
I do appreciate what you were going for. I like the way the sand is blurred in an arc. I also don't mind the flipper being blurred from the motion. What I do rue is the fact that the body looks to have suffered from the slow SS...having the bulk behind the action sharper/steadier would have gone some way into taking this photo up another notch IMHO...:e3...as it is it's not here nor there for me personally...and in an ideal world the bit of "other seal" in the bottom left corner would have been evicted.

Let's see what others say...

Nancy Bell
08-06-2013, 07:09 PM
I love the idea of this image. The flying sand is great! I especially like that curved edge of sand towards the right. For me I would like to see a bit more of the elephant seal for more context. I do agree with Morkel about the need for more visual depth/sharper details on the main body.