PDA

View Full Version : Canon 5d Mark III

Giovanni Frescura
08-04-2013, 10:11 AM
Hello
I have this camera and t is fine also if the shooting speed n o very fast...but I think the birrer problem is the the buffer very slow....What you say about and there is any option to make it faster ?
Thanks
Gio

Diane Miller
08-04-2013, 11:03 AM
Even if you could upgrade the buffer speed, you would still be limited in burst rate by the shutter mechanism and other factors designed into the camera to work with the buffer speed.

I'm not sure this is what you are asking, but it may be a relevant factor. If the card you are using has a write speed slower than the buffer's output, the buffer will fill after so many shots. A faster card can allow more shots in a burst. When I got the 5D3 I upgraded to Lexar Pro "1000X" UDMA 7 cards and get about 25 shots in a burst, if I remember right (RAW format). Before, with a slower card, the buffer would fill after about 12 shots.

Giovanni Frescura
08-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Even if you could upgrade the buffer speed, you would still be limited in burst rate by the shutter mechanism and other factors designed into the camera to work with the buffer speed.

I'm not sure this is what you are asking, but it may be a relevant factor. If the card you are using has a write speed slower than the buffer's output, the buffer will fill after so many shots. A faster card can allow more shots in a burst. When I got the 5D3 I upgraded to Lexar Pro "1000X" UDMA 7 cards and get about 25 shots in a burst, if I remember right (RAW format). Before, with a slower card, the buffer would fill after about 12 shots.

Hello
at the moment I am using a Trascend 400x ..do you think it is slow ?

Diane Miller
08-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Here's some very good information on card speed for different cameras. A web search will yield a lot more.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/multi_pagee519.html?cid=6007

I forgot to say I'm using "high speed" (which isn't very fast) burst rate to get that 25 or so burst limit. Regular speed would give me more before it filled.

Charlie Woodrich
08-04-2013, 11:50 AM
The Lexar Professional 1000x is twice as fast as what you are using now.

Hello
at the moment I am using a Trascend 400x ..do you think it is slow ?

Giovanni Frescura
08-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Here's some very good information on card speed for different cameras. A web search will yield a lot more.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/multi_pagee519.html?cid=6007

I forgot to say I'm using "high speed" (which isn't very fast) burst rate to get that 25 or so burst limit. Regular speed would give me more before it filled.

Hello Diana ..could you explain me more about :

"high speed" (which isn't very fast) burst rate to get that 25 or so burst limit. Regular speed would give me more before it filled

my english is very bad!
Thanks

Diane Miller
08-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Your English is just fine!! (Wish I could speak Italian -- it's a beautiful language.)

The 5D3 has two choices of burst speed, set by the Drive button next to the LCD panel on top of the camera. The regular one (3 frames per second) and a "high speed" one (6). There is also a Silent one (less noise -- and supposedly less mirror slap?) that is 3 fps.

The slower one would allow a little more writeout to the buffer before the next frame dumps into the buffer, so you would get more shots in a burst before the buffer filled and the burst rate was slowed. But most people in burst mode would want the fastest rate.

Giovanni Frescura
08-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Your English is just fine!! (Wish I could speak Italian -- it's a beautiful language.)

The 5D3 has two choices of burst speed, set by the Drive button next to the LCD panel on top of the camera. The regular one (3 frames per second) and a "high speed" one (6). There is also a Silent one (less noise -- and supposedly less mirror slap?) that is 3 fps.

The slower one would allow a little more writeout to the buffer before the next frame dumps into the buffer, so you would get more shots in a burst before the buffer filled and the burst rate was slowed. But most people in burst mode would want the fastest rate.

Ok thanks it is fine now.
But If I wuld like more shoots I need fast mode...of course it couls be slower for buffer problem.
I bought now 5D instead of 7D (good camera but no good for high iso and file raw no the same quality than 5D ..but I would like use more shoots
Off course my first camera is Canon 1D mark IV but now I am using only 5D to test it and to have the opportunity to verify its limit
Thanks again...I must pay more to have the right compact flash for this camera....