PDA

View Full Version : Fallen Bridges

Jason Stander
08-04-2013, 03:10 AM
Hi all... this is my first in this gallery/ forum (regularly active in the macro gallery/forum)... today I had the guts... and hope to be more regular.

Trust that you are all well?

This is an image from my landscape archives

This was taken near my valley in the Magoebaskloof Indigenous Forests (Limpopo province South Africa). The image was taken in the mist to make sure that you a slight separation of the busy forest detail from the foreground.

Blend of 2 exposures.

Canon 5D II
Canon 16-35mm f2.8

Aperture: f11
Shutter speed: 0.800s
ISO: 400

Crits and comments welcome... ENJOY!:w3

Don Railton
08-04-2013, 05:52 AM
Hi Jason. Welcome...and yes I am fighting fit, thanks for asking. This is quite beautiful... The mist adds IMHO and provides a soft blend into the brighter parts of the forest which might have otherwise been too hot.. Its a pretty busy scene but I like it...DON

Diane Miller
08-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Tonality and color, composition, detail, lighting.... all perfect, for me. I love the mist!

Markus Jais
08-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Fantastic shot. Great colors and light. The mist is perfect. Wonderful composition.

Do you know if African Crowned Eagles breed in that forest?

Markus

Jason Stander
08-05-2013, 04:55 AM
Thank you Don, Diane and Markus for your time to view and comment!:w3

Vivaldo Damilano
08-05-2013, 07:29 AM
Jason really like this shot, a beautiful scene, love the mist and fallen tree's in the FG. Good sharpness both in the FG and BG well done.

Jason Stander
08-06-2013, 12:46 AM
Thank you Vivaldo... appreciate our time!:w3

Russell Johnson
08-06-2013, 04:54 AM
Really like the setting, the lush green colours and the fallen trees. I would perhaps look at using a dodge and burn layer to slightly darken between the mid tones and shadow darks, as I felt it gave a bit more definition.

Andrew McLachlan
08-06-2013, 06:52 PM
Hi Jason, welcome to the Landscape Forum...hope to see lots more from you. Lovely work. You have made splendid sense out of the chaos in the jungle. Keep 'em comin'

Jason Stander
08-07-2013, 02:54 AM
Thank you Russel and Andrew... appreciate!

Morkel Erasmus
08-07-2013, 06:45 AM
Hey Jason my friend, good to see you posting here too. :5
I'd love to see more of your work here.

Love these shots from the Magoeba forests. Rare to see these kinds of indigenous woodlands in South Africa. I like the composition and the mood with the mist. I do think you can add some "pop" by burning the shadows and dodging the highlights of the immediate FG branches some?

dankearl
08-07-2013, 06:51 PM
This looks like my local woods in the Pacific Northwest, USA, including the mist and fog.
Nice scene, I would up the contrast just a tad.

Jason Stander
08-08-2013, 12:40 AM
Thank you Morkel and dankearl... appreciate your time and suggestions:w3

Lyle Gruby
08-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Just wanted to add what a great composition I think this is. It's definitely not easy making a pleasing composition out of dense forest. Agree more contrast would help, I could see a darker version to add a mysterious/spooky feeling.

Roman Kurywczak
08-08-2013, 11:51 AM
Hey Jason,
You did a very nice job conveying the mood and feel of a busy forest.....which isn't easy at all! I did debate the clipped fern in the LRC.....but probably more distracting elements there that you would introduce. All in all a very nice image!

Jason Stander
08-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Thank you Roman and Lyle... will look into the suggestions this weekend:w3

John Ippolito
08-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Hi Jason,

I like this one a lot. It is reminiscent of the Pacific Northwest in North America. I like the framing with all the lines leading to the fern in the lower right. I'm not bothered by it being truncated a bit - agree with Roman that another comp may have introduced more distraction. Lovely tonality and misty feel to the BG. Nice work!

Jason Stander
08-11-2013, 08:08 AM
Thank you John!