PDA

View Full Version : Horse Tail Falls

dankearl
08-03-2013, 04:24 PM
One of the prettiest and most often photographed Water fall (There are Dozens) in the Columbia River Gorge, Oregon.
Taken at Mid Day today, they are always in the shade which makes for convenient Photography hours!

1/5 sec., f11, iso200, 10mm (nikkor 10-24mm), D7000, Circular polarizer, Grad ND filter, tripod, PP in NX2

DSC_2724bp.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131074&stc=1&d=1375565015)

Russell Johnson
08-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Dan - I like the slow shutter on the water, particularly the twist section of the falls.

Personally I think the image needs to be portrait. I also think the image would help with some more tonal separation to help it pop - I ran a quick dodge and burn layer to separate the mid-tone a touch more.

WDYT?

dankearl
08-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Thanks, Russell,
I like your repost, you opened things up a bit.
The Original in camera photo was of course, dark, the only way to shoot bright falls in shade and I did lighten it quite a bit,
but you made it nicer.
I shot mostly vertical photos, which is the norm for this falls, but went with the Landscape comp for something different.
Here is the usual comp for this falls
that I took most photos today.

DSC_2696bp.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131077&stc=1&d=1375572075)

Don Railton
08-04-2013, 06:04 AM
Hello Dan, I prefer your wider comp over the "usual" as shown in pane #3... Nice shutter speed. I wonder if there was the opportunity to get lower and include a foreground element that was a little more dominant? Just a thought... That may have resulted in the tree top on the LHS to be included also.. TFS. DON

Markus Jais
08-04-2013, 02:22 PM
I like both he vertical and horizontal shot. If I had to choose I would choose the horizontal image as is shows more of the scene.
I like the composition in both images.

Markus

Vivaldo Damilano
08-05-2013, 07:40 AM
I prefer the vertical comp, love the water blur and Russell's repost with added contrast works nicely TFS.

Andrew McLachlan
08-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Hi Dan, I too prefer the horizontal version as it shows the details of the surrounding terrain. Russell's repost works better with the added contrast. IMHO I would prefer a few steps closer to eliminate the stones in the stream...but I have never been there so unsure if this would have been possible. Nonetheless a lovely scene and capture.

Lyle Gruby
08-08-2013, 11:03 AM
I prefer the horizontal. Nice work with the highlights.

Roman Kurywczak
08-08-2013, 11:46 AM
I like both Dan but agree with Andrew that the FG rocks are a bit distracting. Did you happen to go left and try using the shoreline as a FG element and leading line? Good job minimizing the sky and if so inclined....I would eliminate it altogether and patch it in with greenery....again....if within your ethics. If you try an exposure blend.....with a very long SS for the FG water (so it goes smooth) and then use the rest of the scene as presented....that can work in situations where the FG water is a bit too choppy! Just some food for thought next time out.

Morkel Erasmus
08-12-2013, 02:35 PM
Late to this one, Dan.
I like Russel's repost, my first thought was that it looked flat tonally and he made it pop nicely.
The vertical comp is "cleaner" and draw me in slightly better. Do take note that we prefer entirely different photos (even of the same location) to be posted as separate threads (keep image posts to reposts of the currently discussed image). Not a big issue, just noting it for all reading. :w3