PDA

View Full Version : Opportunists

Jason Stander
08-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Hi all... I trust that you are all well? Sorry that I have not posted in a while!

This an image of a female flower crab spider with her bee catch.

She has 3 opportunist waiting for her spoiled sucked juices... 2 jackal flies and an ant.

With the MPE... you have such a shallow dof and to capture all the action and detail is a task and a half... so yes I would have like more canvas on the left... but hey you cant get everything... otherwise I am happy with the result.

Crits and comments are always welcome... ENJOY!:w3

Canon EOS 60D
Canon MPE 65mm 2.8
Canon MT24-EX Macro twinlite (diffused)

Aperture: f16
Shutter speed: 1/125s
ISO: 125
Metering: Spot

Mitch Haimov
08-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Congrats on capturing a very cool moment! :5 I agree that it is tighter than ideal on the left, but as you said...

What set up do you use to diffuse your MT24-EX?

Diane Miller
08-02-2013, 10:22 PM
If it's not against your principles, it wouldn't be that hard to add more canvas on the left and top and extend the rather sparse detail into it, fading it out toward the edges. That would give it a very artistic light vignette effect that could even be carried into the LR corner by lightening it. That's probably getting into more manipulation than most nature photographers want to do, but there is a very strong artistic side to this image that would lend itself to such treatment.

Jason Stander
08-03-2013, 01:46 AM
Thank you Diane and Mitch for your comments, crits and advice... much appreciated.

Mitch... diffusion... a big headache when it comes to the MT24-EX twin-lite... me and some of my friends here in SA have found a paper from a chocolate box that works well as a diffusion tent... read more on our local thread forum here in SA... Vida my friend did a great job of explaining the diffusion: http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/forums/showthread.php?22766-Macro-Chocolate-Box-Diffuser/page3&highlight=Vida

Diane, I am sorry I am a naturalist especially when it come to nature photography. When we enter our images into salons (national photography competitions) you are not allowed to manipulate images... that means in a nut shell not allowed to remove or add anything to your images. I agree with your suggestion would make a slightly better representation of the image but I think also the tight crop gives more emphasis to the detail which is in focus (the crab spider , eyes and the top fly). I am happy with the way the image came out and would leave the image as it is. But thank you for suggestions... do appreciate it!:w3

Mitch Haimov
08-03-2013, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the link, Jason! Woolworth's no longer here in the states, so my own search for the perfect material commences...

Jonathan Ashton
08-03-2013, 05:03 PM
Very good shot indeed, I think the DOF is very good and the detail is excellent my only reservation is that for me it is all a little tight in the frame.

Jason Stander
08-04-2013, 02:54 AM
Thank you Jonathan... always appreciate the views yip you cant have it all?:w3

Nancy Bell
08-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Fantastic capture! Love how these crab spiders seem to match the flower and artistically it really adds to the image. The jackal flies add to the mini-drama. Really like how the pale petals of the flower frame the action. I had to work really hard to find the ant :eek3:.

Allen Sparks
08-04-2013, 12:39 PM
Hi Jason, wonderful details/tones and what a great behavioral shot this is....well done! --Allen

Jason Stander
08-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Thank you Nancy and Allen!:w3

Steve Maxson
08-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Hi Jason - and welcome back! This is an amazing scene and I'm impressed that you got so much into your DOF! Your flash diffusion is first rate. You might consider adding a bit more contrast to the bee, but that's a very minor point on an outstanding image!

Jason Stander
08-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Thank you Steve!