PDA

View Full Version : Common blue damselfly

Jonathan Ashton
08-01-2013, 06:24 AM
Monopod canon 7D Canon 180mm macro ISO 400 1/500 sec f8.
I can't be absolutely sure but I think this is a female common blue damselfly. I was struck by the various shades of green, the image was taken by the garden pond, no matter how I tried I couldn't quite get the optimal angle to ensure the tip of the tail was sharp. I got the shot but also got a soaking!
All C&C welcome.

Jason Stander
08-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Hi Jonathan, this a beautiful image... great diagonal line comp... excellent detail and comp... one to be proud of... VWD!:w3

Mitch Haimov
08-02-2013, 09:21 PM
I like the angled, slightly curved perch and the interesting subject. While I would be pleased to have made this image, I do not like it as well as most of your other work. Just compared it to your common blue post of July 18 and find that image with similar subject and composition more pleasing even though this common blue has more interesting markings. I think the reasons for this are:

The damselfly is both lower and further "back" in that frame; I think this one would work better for me if the stem entered the frame further right and exited near the TL corner through the top rather than the side. Subject could also be slightly lower, but less important.
I find your side-on POV in that image more peaceful.
The smooth gradient BG of the prior post with its wash of contrasting color on left side complements the subject perfectly (both colors are in the subject) and makes a lovely, non-distracting finish to an excellent image.

Allen Sparks
08-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Jonathan, a fine image even though the tail tip isn't totally sharp. I like the diagonal comp and markings on this damselfly. -- Allen

Jonathan Ashton
08-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone, much appreciated.

Steve Maxson
08-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Hi Jon. Another fine image - and some interesting comments from Mitch for you to consider. I like the diagonal comp and the lighting - and, yes, the image would be even stronger if the tip of the abdomen was sharp. I think I would prefer a little less room on the right and a little more on the left (if you have it). Overall, this is very nicely done!