PDA

View Full Version : Warbling Vireo

Tim King
07-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Didn't do so well in the other forum so I thought I would give this one a try.
The bird was backlit so I overexposed 2 stops.
7D - 300mmF4L IS + 1.4TCii
ISO 800, f5.6, 1/160, HH
Toned down in photoshop.

Best.

jack williamson
07-30-2013, 09:37 PM
You did very well with your exposure here Tim. I really like this. The pose and the greenery look great and the bg turned out fine.

Jack

Diane Miller
07-31-2013, 01:16 PM
I didn't see this before (in Avian?) but I really like it. The perch and foliage are very interesting and I like the light bird against the light BG. The exposure and detail look excellent, to me, especially for a backlit subject. There seems to be a little blowout in the BG but it's subtle and not a problem for me. Don't know how you're processing, but have you done what you can to recover it in RAW conversion? (Or was it shot as a JPEG?)

Seeing the whole beak would be nice, but you work with what you are given. It is a nice and different acrobatic pose.

Tim King
07-31-2013, 09:32 PM
I didn't see this before (in Avian?) but I really like it. The perch and foliage are very interesting and I like the light bird against the light BG. The exposure and detail look excellent, to me, especially for a backlit subject. There seems to be a little blowout in the BG but it's subtle and not a problem for me. Don't know how you're processing, but have you done what you can to recover it in RAW conversion? (Or was it shot as a JPEG?)

Seeing the whole beak would be nice, but you work with what you are given. It is a nice and different acrobatic pose.

I was referring to my photos in general. Yes I recovered the blinkers in PS RAW. The sun was late evening so it wasn't harsh at all. Thanks you both.

Steve Kaluski
08-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Hi Tim, this is really very nice, with an exquisite, sensitive touch to the processing, perhaps one of the nicest images I have seen taken with the 7D, well apart from Daniel's, excellent work. :cheers: The comp works well likewise the soft, hints & tones of the BKG, everything works together nicely and has created a refreshing image. You might pick up on the OOF leaves bottom RHC jarring with the in focus top left, but this is no deal breaker. You have a good eye for comp and a light hand with PP.

The only thing I might suggest is some mid tone to just help overall and crop the pruned stem top left.

From the two images I have seen Tim you are creating to lovely work, well done and hope to see more.

TFS
Steve

Gabriela Plesea
08-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Dear Tim, this is a very interesting capture of this lovely bird, I think you handled exposure very well and your processing is great:S3:. The colours are lovely and I like to see the environment. I would love to see more of your images:S3:

Kind regards,

gail bisson
08-06-2013, 08:00 PM
Very nice Tim.
I love the pastel yellows and greens. Whites look good and love the fanned tail. A fun pose as well. Nice texture contrasts between the sharply delineated leaf edges and the soft belly feathers.
In a perfect world it would be nice to see the entire beak but not a deal breaker by any means.
The perch creates a nice diagonal as well. The image has an ethereal quality to it which is nice.
Well done,
Gail