PDA

View Full Version : Male Ruby Throated Hummingbird

Linda Dulak
07-28-2013, 02:05 PM
This image was captured using multiple flashes outside our dining room window. He was enticed to a feeder around which we placed 4 slave flash units driven by an SB800 on the camera.

Post processing included cloning a few dust spots and slight shadows as well as removing extra catchlights in the eye followed by sharpening.

D7000, 80-400 mm @400, f16, 1/250 sec, ISO 250

Comments welcome.

Linda

Alan Murphy
07-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Nice sharp detail and good flash work. A flower in the image would add interest.

Neil Nourse
07-28-2013, 08:07 PM
Nice and sharp. Good lighting to bring out his colors. I also feel a flower would really add to the image.

Linda Dulak
07-29-2013, 06:46 AM
Yes, a flower in the image would improve it but this guy was having none of that. He was more interested in chasing any other hummingbirds away from his favorite feeding station. So, I decided a good shot of him was all I was going to accomplish that day. I may have to do a composite.

Linda

Satish Ranadive
07-29-2013, 08:40 AM
Beautiful set up.Magnificent image,beautiful colors,superb sharp,nice HA and composition.

Regards,
Satish.

Daniel Cadieux
07-29-2013, 09:28 AM
You can always try to attach a flower on the feeder and dab a few drops of sugar water on it. In any case, the hummingbird itself looks great. Good hovering pose with the reversing wing. Good job with the catchlights in the eye.

Diane Miller
07-29-2013, 10:23 AM
Lovely! He looks very fierce. I like the way you got the tail spread out -- balances the head nicely.

Did you flash the BG also? If I don't I always get a ghost image.

vishaljadhav
07-29-2013, 12:18 PM
lovely pose captured and great details on view

Linda Dulak
07-29-2013, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the comments. Yes, Daniel, I did have a flower on the feeder. He would have none of it. I used a syringe to put sugar water down into the flower where they would normally find nectar but he refused to approach. He's a big bully and constantly chases others away. We've had to move the feeder to another area, away from his "normal" perch. I may try again in the new area because now the young birds have fledged so there's lots of activity there. But the males are about to leave on migration so I'll have to work quickly.

Diane, I did flash the background.

Linda

Gabriela Plesea
07-30-2013, 08:11 AM
A beauty, well exposed, great IQ, lovely colour and composition!

Kind regards,