PDA

View Full Version : Grasshopper

Mitch Haimov
07-27-2013, 09:17 PM
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5449/9382110376_28d1b5f957_o.jpg

Took out the used MP-E65 and MT-24EX I picked up on eBay for the first time this morning. Found this tiny, cooperative hopper in a neighbor's flowerbed. I have a lot to learn with this rig, but was pleased with the results for a first effort. Haven't worked anything out to diffuse the flash yet, but that's next on the list. Had to hold the camera out at arm's length, which made holding it steady and judging focus on the LCD a challenge.

Didn't do much to this image--tweaked the exposure, cropped a small amount off the top, cloned out some specular highlights from the flower/perch (but not the subject), and sharpened.

All comments, critiques, and suggestions always welcome and appreciated!

1/160 sec at f/11 and ISO 100
EOS 5D II
65 mm macro lens at approx 1.5:1
twin macro flash
hand held

Allen Sparks
07-28-2013, 11:40 AM
Hi Mitch, a nice image especially for a first effort. Critical sharpness is where it needs to be. I wonder if a different angle may have minimized the oof flower from the foreground but given the subject position and the narrow DOF at this magnification it may not have been possible. In any event, a fine capture and looking forward to seeing more of your images with this rig.

Mitch Haimov
07-28-2013, 02:25 PM
Thanks, Allen. This cooperative hopper let me walk away with nine "keepers" from a few angles, so I'll post a couple more over the next few days. Started with this one because I like the spotlight effect of the BG.

Jonathan Ashton
07-30-2013, 03:36 AM
Nice shot but I can imagine it would be very difficult to hand hold and get the plane of focus exactly right. His left antenna and front foreleg is sharp but the rest is just a tiny tad out of focus. I think a tripod would be your best bet for shots like this - inconvenient but when you nail the shot it will be a peach.

Steve Maxson
07-31-2013, 08:37 PM
Hi Mitch. I think you will be having a lot of fun with this rig - especially once you get the flashes diffused. The MP-E lens can open up unlimited tiny worlds to photograph. Very sharp within your DOF considering you were HH this heavy rig at arm's length! I would suggest cloning the rectangular flash-generated specular highlight in the water drop (a good diffuser setup with this flash should eliminate those without the need to do it in PP). I look forward to seeing more of your work with this setup!

Mitch Haimov
07-31-2013, 09:29 PM
Thank you, Jonathan and Steve. (And welcome back, Steve. I hope you had a great time on your trip!) I generally prefer to use a tripod whenever feasible, including in situations when many would not. But was not an option in this case without causing serious damage to the flower bed (not mine). Have done some surfing for diffusion options and it appears the only way to do it right is to build something myself--best I've seen uses two Sto-Fens, two Gary Fong Puffers, and metallic inserts for Lumiquest Big Bounce.