PDA

View Full Version : You Watch My Back, I Watch Yours

Loi Nguyen
07-27-2013, 12:27 AM
A pair of zebras enjoyed a tender moment.

1DX
500f4 II + 1.4X III
1/1600
f8
ISO-400
BLUBB Bean Bag from safari vehicle

Almost full frame, took a slider off the bottom for comp.

Appreciate your comments.

Thank you

Loi

Rachel Hollander
07-27-2013, 07:39 AM
Hi Loi - I love seeing the zebras when they stand with their heads on each others' backs. While I understand your comp was probably to get the whole tail in it has made the rump of the zebra a little too dominant for my taste. The processing of this one is an improvement over your recent posts but some of the blacks are a bit choked up.

TFS,
Rachel

Don Railton
07-28-2013, 12:16 AM
Hello Loi. Lovely moment captured here. Its nice and sharp and is that a fly I can see above the back of the LH Zebra? Its a bit tight on the RHS for me, In hindsight framing as a landscape may have worked better here as you have already cropped from the bottom and I think some sky could go also.. DON

Loi Nguyen
07-28-2013, 01:00 AM
Hi Don and Rachel, thank you for your comments. I have another frame with a wee bit more on the RHS and the tail going the other way may help with the big butt problem :). Hope you like it better.

Don, yes that was a fly. No fly on this new frame.

Rachel, not sure I understand your comment regarding the black being "choked up." Could you explain?

Thank you both.

Loi

Rachel Hollander
07-28-2013, 07:40 AM
Hi Loi - "choked up blacks" means that they are too heavy and lacking detail.

Rachel

Steve Kaluski
07-28-2013, 08:00 AM
Hi Loi, I can see why you went for this comp, but like you I do feel the rear is a bit too dominant, in more ways than one :bg3:.

I would have got the shot you wanted, then if possible, moved to the right and go for a landscape format, with the two zebra side on. This means you will still have both heads, the rear would not have been an issue, plus, not having the Hartebeest in the BKG might have given better separation, although it does portray a very common scene. Personally I prefer the size ratio within frame of the OP, but the contents of the RP.

TFS
Steve