PDA

View Full Version : Future Butterfly

Linda Dulak
07-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Since Norm has developed a nice set-up for photographing insects and other small items, I'm always on the look out for subjects. Yesterday I was working in the garden when I noticed some damage on the parsley. Sure enough there were 2 caterpillars on there and eating their fill. These are caterpillars of the Swallowtail butterfly and because their favorite food is parsley I always plant a large amount of it for them. While we love to see the butterfly, we have to keep in mind that the food for the caterpillars is important. Without that we would have no butterflies and they can be very particular. I'm sure most people know that the monarchs prefer the milkweed and the preference is just as important for many other species.

Since the caterpillar was very slow moving I was able to take many images and varied the settings on the flashes. I much preferred this image even though the entire caterpillar is not in focus because he was facing the camera and I liked the curve of his body. After his photo session was over he was returned to his parsley plant.

Nikon D300 w/Nikkor 105mm micro lens, tripod mounted.
ISO 400; f/22, 1/60 sec.
The insect was placed on a translucent white acrylic sheet and illuminated from above by twin wireless SB-R200 speedlights and by another from below the sheet.
Minor standard CS6 adjustments were made.

Thank you Norm for being busy yesterday afternoon so I could claim this guy for my own subject.

Comments welcome

Linda

Norm Dulak
07-26-2013, 04:01 PM
Beautiful capture, Linda.

The pose, composition and exposure are all excellent. And it's good to know that when your subject develops into a beautiful butterfly, you may be able to capture it again on our butterfly bushes!

Norm

Joe Senzatimore
07-27-2013, 10:06 AM
Real fine image. I love the high key BG and feel it sets off the subject very well.

Mitch Haimov
07-27-2013, 08:55 PM
Nicely done, very interesting subject. Although I've never seen it, I love your garden (and the philosophy behind it). TFS the natural history of this species.

Linda Dulak
07-28-2013, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the comments, everyone. Yes, Mitch, my gardening philosophy is to share a bit with the other critters that share my little space on this planet.

Linda

Allen Sparks
07-28-2013, 11:50 AM
Hi Linda, I like this high key look which isolates the feeding behavior of the caterpillar so well. When we used to raise caterpillars they were so often just resting. Good that you caught some action. Image has critical sharpness where it needs to be. Well done. - Allen

Jonathan Ashton
07-30-2013, 03:29 AM
Beautifully illuminated, I would consider showing it in portrait format. The detail is excellent as are the colours. I wonder if would be possible to introduce a natural background, perhaps a print of OOF vegetation or grasses placed on the perspex sheet??

Steve Maxson
07-30-2013, 01:35 PM
Hi Linda. It looks like you and Norm are having fun with your "studio" setup! The caterpillar gave you an interesting pose, you have good sharpness, and the mix of lighting from the flashes looks just right. This is very well done!

Linda Dulak
07-31-2013, 06:56 AM
Thanks Steve. We both are muttering about the amount of time we spend on the "studio". Just look what you started!

Linda

Linda Dulak
07-31-2013, 06:59 AM
I think that putting a background on by doing a composite might be the way to go to get what you are suggesting, Johathan.

Linda