PDA

View Full Version : Plover with Chick

Neil Nourse
07-26-2013, 07:11 AM
Plover and chick in early morning light. North Shore of MA on Mike Milicia's plover/tern workshop about a month ago. I believe this shot might of been on a tripod. At one point there was a row of debris at the high tide line blocking us from using ground pods.
Canon 1DIII, 500f4 and 2X, ISO 800, 1/640 at f8. About 60% of FF. LR5 / CS6, minor beach cleanup,NR on background, smart sharpen.

Comments appreciated.

Neil

Grace Scalzo
07-26-2013, 09:13 AM
Neil, A wonderful moment captured. Understand why you were on a tripod as I have that issue on our messy North Shore beach, but a lower angle certainly would give a more intimate feel. I think that trimming a bit from the bottom would help. Without measuring, the whites look borderline hot and don't have much detail as presented. I suspect this could be fixed in post processing. And lastly, the subjects overall could use a bit more sharpening...especially the parent's head.

Marina Scarr
07-26-2013, 10:15 AM
Very good critique by Grace. You have a lot going for you hear. I also would have preferred a lower angle, but would have sat up if the BG had been full of debris as well. I just cropped this image with some off of the bottom, and a little from left and right and really like it using the rule of thirds. For me, it makes for a more powerful image.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
07-27-2013, 05:01 PM
Such a sweet capture and some really nice light too. I always love that super low angle but understand when going higher is necessary. Agree about another round of sharpening.

Satish Ranadive
07-29-2013, 08:51 AM
Beautiful moment captured.I like the HA of both mom and chick. Rest has been already mentioned above.
Very well done.

Regards,
Satish.