PDA

View Full Version : Mana Plains

Morkel Erasmus
07-26-2013, 12:30 AM
I took this image last week on the plains south of the Zambezi river in Mana Pools, Zimbabwe.
It's a 3-image "vertorama" (horizontal shots stacked vertically). Total resolution is over 70mp.

I find road shots always work better with a bit of telephoto compression (50-100mm).

Techs:
Nikon D800
Nikkor 80-400mm VR-II @ 80mm
f16 | ISO-800
Handheld

Don Railton
07-26-2013, 08:00 AM
Hi Morkel. I like the contrast between the darkish clouds and the bright grassy plain. The trees add interest and road provides a nice lead... It would look much nicer I imagine at full resolution, you cannot squeeze 70MP down to 0.4MP without loosing something...DON

Rachel Hollander
07-27-2013, 09:22 AM
Hi Morkel -nice job on the stacking. I like the detail in the clouds and the curve of the road as a leading line but aesthetically this just isn't doing as much for me as your other landscape images. There's just nothing grabbing my eye or interest. Sorry.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
07-28-2013, 09:29 AM
Hi Morkel, love the way the light is hitting the foreground adn darkening the clouds...if it were mine I might hit the clouds with a touch of Detail Extractor to make them a little more dramatic. How do you like the new 80-400?...have you tried with the 1.4 TC yet...I am looking forward to trading out my old version for the new one.

Vivaldo Damilano
07-31-2013, 11:48 AM
Beautiful scene Morkel, also love the light in the FG and dark clouds. The road works nicely, leading the eye into the frame well done.

Morkel Erasmus
08-11-2013, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the feedback, folks...
Mana is a beautiful place but a hard place to capture well in landscape photography. :e3
Plus we were looking for the wild things most of the time...:w3