PDA

View Full Version : Rodeo, THE most dangerous proffesion.

Jason Vaclavek
01-06-2008, 12:14 AM
I was inspired by the other 'Rodeo' photo and Al's question of "Do they fall often?" to post this image. And as a former part time Bull Rider, I can assure you they do fall often and very hard! I know I did, dislocated my right wrist and shoulder during one ride. But man! it sure was fun to do all that!! I took this photo at last years PRCA sanctioned Lakeside Rodeo.
Many years ago at this rodeo location, I was witness to the death of two different people. One of them was during a halftime show where there was a very experienced drill team call the Rainbow riders, all ladies doing a a figure 8 type drill and one horse was off step by what seemed to be mere fractions of a second and collided head on with another horse and the two riders met face to face. One rider was instantly killed and the two horses and other rider where ok.
The other death was a friend of mine through bull riding, Paul. He was hung up in his rope and repeatedly step on by the bull, suffering some massive trauma, he died later that night in the hospital.

Sorry about wondering down a dark road, those memories just kinda came flooding back to me.
In the photo below, this guy picked himself up and did what all the Cowboys do, waived to the crowd and went back to get on another one!

Alfred Forns
01-06-2008, 12:33 AM
Thanks Jason !!!! I've seen plenty of events in Tv Amazing the falls they take particularly riding bulls I had no idea you did some bull riding !!!! Wow !!!! I'm impressed !!!

Maxis Gamez
01-06-2008, 08:30 AM
These guys are made of rubber!! seriously, they fall and they get up like nothing. For what I can see in this picture, the guy looks like he is ready to turn and get up! Excellent capture!

Judy Lynn Malloch
01-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Thanks for posting this incredible action image and for all the background history Jason. I find it hard to believe that they ride again after a fall like this. Simply amazing.

Andrew McCullough
01-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Nice image Jason. We go to the Houston Rodeo once or twice each spring . It really is amazing. I'd love the opportunity to photograph it from the arena floor.

Fabs Forns
01-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Thanks for an action packed image and the story behind. Impressive!

Glenn Wheeler
01-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Great image of a sport I highly respect. These folks are true atheletes!

Alfred Forns
01-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Hi Glenn ...... Jason used to ride bulls and that is no BS !!!!!