PDA

View Full Version : Vermilion sunset

Dick Huberty
07-24-2013, 09:54 PM
Sunsets almost seem to be cliche, but this one was amazing. Taken about 20 minutes after sunset. Wish I had another element in composition or do you think the amazing sky is enough? Take with Canon 5D Mark lll, canon 24-70mm 2.8 ll, 1/8 sec at f/14, 24mm on tripod. Very little PP...this is the way it came out of the camera. CC welcome.

Don Railton
07-25-2013, 11:29 PM
Hi Dick

I do like sunsets and this is a good one with nice colour on the water. I agree with your wish however in that another element or two would make this so much better. As it stand there is a lot of empty space in the black treeline which in my opinion detracts from the image. A few extra shots with much longer exposure to capture tree detail might have been nice to blend in with this.. and maybe a couple of swans on the water...and a cold beer... etc... Hope you enjoyed the evening anyway.

DON.

Morkel Erasmus
07-26-2013, 03:58 AM
Lovely sky here. Did you consider taking multiple exposures for detail in the treeline (since you were tripod-mounted)?
I agree it needs something more...

Andrew McLachlan
07-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Hi Dick, lovely sunset...always good idea to wait after the sun has set to see what develops in the sky. For me I would like to see this framed a little tighter, reducing the space on the left side and a little less water on the bottom. Did you capture alternate versions of this? Would love to see them.

Dick Huberty
07-30-2013, 09:17 PM
Thank you Don, Morkel and Andrew for you input. I am going to have to work at blending shots at different exposures. I do use graduated ND filters (which would not work here) and HDR, but have not tried blending in PS using Layers and Mask. (if you know of a good tutorial i would appreciate the link.) It may have helped to bring out some detail in the trees, but the picture has all that empty space on the left. I did crop some of the water and left part of the picture, but it still leaves an unbalanced composition..I will be ready for the next beautiful sky.