PDA

View Full Version : Elephant Crossing

edwardselfe
07-24-2013, 09:33 AM
This is one of my favourite places to photograph in the South Luangwa. A beautiful stretch of river where elephants often cross, hippos throng in huge numbers and lion are regularly found on the sandbanks in the early mornings.

The elephants are very unpredictable in their movements. They WILL cross the river, but it might be in 2 minutes, or they might wait til after dark. The most I have seen at this crossing point together is 73 and there were so many that it was hard to compose a pleasing image. So I was happy when these 4 bulls walked purposefully down to the water's edge while the light was still perfect. I would have liked them to cross slightly more to their right so that they weren't walking away from me, but you can't have everything I guess!

Canon 1D4, 70-200mm f2.8 @ 200mm, f5.6, ISO 800, -2/3 EV, nearly FF (only cropped to straighten slightly).

Comments and critiques welcome. Think it misses the mark slightly and perhaps that's the angle of the elephants, but other ideas much appreciated.

Ed

Loi Nguyen
07-24-2013, 10:49 AM
Hi Ed, the light was so sweet in this image and you exploited it. I think the image could be better IF (and this is a big if) you can get closer and use the lower end of your zoom. For this shot, I think your comp is right on, you cannot go tight as you will lose the sky. Loi

Rachel Hollander
07-25-2013, 06:20 AM
Hi Ed - gorgeous light but I agree with your self-critique. Still great behavior captured and the raised trunk of the leading ele is a plus.

TFS,
Rachel

Brendon Cremer
07-26-2013, 01:55 AM
Great scene and image altogether, agree with you own nit on the angle of the elephants, having said that it not the end of the world, still a lovely scene very well captured. I only see a little magenta in the sky and i may try lifting the blue in it a little as it looks a little dark.

Morkel Erasmus
07-26-2013, 04:35 AM
Nice light and scene, I don't mind the direction they are walking that much as there's a bigger context and story to tell.
Good points raised above, you can tease out some more from this one Edward.

Steve Kaluski
07-28-2013, 03:53 AM
Hi Ed, I agree with you, the angle is KEY and sadly this is not ideal, however if they were walking the opposite way then this may have been a 'killer' image, an ideal world as you say.

Certainly Brendon's observation are an easy fix and worth doing. Also, although I'm on an uncalibrated monitor, I just wonder if overall it could stand a little more 'saturation' for a better encompassing word. I'm not suggesting just to tweak that slider, Vibrancy or some slight adjustments in either Selective colour or even within HSL of the RAW may offer a better option, just a thought. Like the format on this, likewise the composition. Hope to see more from you.

TFS
Steve