PDA

View Full Version : Abstract Dahlia III

Mitch Haimov
07-23-2013, 11:14 PM
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3783/9354006861_de2bbdf253_o.jpg

The two sharp petal edges were just off the left vertical ROT line, so I did a slight crop from left to put them right on it. Considered a more substantial crop from top to put them on the ROT points, but that composition looses too much, especially in the upper corners. The diagonal petal edge in LL corner was also sharp, so I deemphasized it a Gaussian blur on it. Finished with a littler sharpening.

Just picked up a used Canon MP-E65 macro lens on eBay. This is the result of my first time using it. Also ordered a used MT-24EX twin flash, but don't have it yet. Once it arrives I'll have to figure out how to diffuse it (any suggestions welcome!) and see what I can come up with from the world of the very small.

All comments and suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

0.6 sec at f/2.8
EOS 5D II
MP-E65 macro lens at approximately 3:1
Tripod

Jonathan Ashton
07-25-2013, 11:28 AM
Mitch, subtle colours and attractive, quite like it but I rather lack artistic flair so I cannot say to much. I could see it as a large print in the right place.

Nancy Bell
07-25-2013, 12:45 PM
The word that comes to mind is luscious! Love the rich colors and deep softness. The lines, both sharp & soft, create a lovely composition. I'm interested in just what you think of the MP-E65 lens and how you use it. I'll watch for more postings!

Mitch Haimov
07-25-2013, 11:34 PM
Thank you both. I, too, am interested to discover what I think of this lens and what I am able to accomplish with it, Nancy. So far have just had one session with it; hope to spend some time with it this weekend but will be fairly busy so not sure how that will work out. I'm sure it will take time/practice, but I hope to make some decent images of critters that have at least six legs. If so, I will post them here.