PDA

View Full Version : Gaillardia/Indian Blanket Flower

Nancy Bell
07-23-2013, 03:19 PM
I find these beautiful wildflowers hard to resist!

Canon 5DMarkIII, Canon 100 f2.8 macro, tripod, 1/250, f5.6, exposure compensation -1/3, ISO 800

C & C most appreciated.

Bob Miller
07-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Beautiful shot ! The focus is right where it is needed. I also like the out of place petal on the left!

Mitch Haimov
07-23-2013, 08:36 PM
I'm not familiar with this flower, but I like it. Slightly off-center composition works well. Center looks great and the clearly defined fibers on the sepals add interest. The almost-but-not-quite-sharp petals at the back feel like a near miss to me (the soft petals coming towards us don't bother me at all); I think if you burn them a bit so they are not brighter than the others they wouldn't draw the eye--an easy way to improve an already successful image (if you agree).

Jonathan Ashton
07-25-2013, 01:42 AM
I like the image as presented and I accept your intention of having limited DOF. It works but purely from a personal aspect I think I would have gone for more DOF, the exposure and colours are excellent.

Nancy Bell
07-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the helpful comments! I see how increased DOF would have improved this image since my eyes go to those back petals pretty quickly and they are not in focus. This would be an opportunity to experiment with a stacked focus image.
Bob, I also liked that one out of place petal and concentrated on getting that in focus, ignoring the back petals.:e3