PDA

View Full Version : Red Nodding Trillium

Cheryl Flory
05-06-2008, 07:12 AM
Out in the woods again the past couple of days and saw some wonderful flowers, even a double trillium in the middle of a trillium patch! Here is a red nodding trillium.
I removed an extra small plant, and brightened it a little.
40D
ISO 400
112mm
auto exposure mode
exposure correction -0.67
1/60
f9.0

Robert O'Toole
05-06-2008, 08:46 PM
The vertical crop was a good choice here and I really like the flower. I would crop a little off the left edge to decenter the flower a little more.

In this situation flash, a reflector or even a sheet of copy paper would have really opened up the shadows and brought more "life" to the face of the flower. I use a collapseable white diffuser and reflector that fits in my pocket when not is use. You should carry one around. Let me know if you are interested and I can send you a link for it.

Robert

Cheryl Flory
05-06-2008, 08:48 PM
Robert, I would love the link. either here on the thread or pm me.
thank you!

Robert O'Toole
05-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Hi Cheryl

Here is the link to BH PHoto for the 2 that I use: Link (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=search&A=search&Q=&ci=0&sb=bs%2Cupper%28ds%29&sq=asc&ac=&bsi=&bhs=t&shs=&ci=1327&at=Brand_Photoflex&at=Size_12%22&basicSubmit=Submit+Query)

I keep a translucent diffuser and a silver white reflector in one small zippered carrying case that is like 5 inches in diameter when I am out in the field walking around. You can hold them, have a assistant hold them or clamp them a tripod.

Robert

Robert O'Toole
05-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Forgot to mention that for fill with the reflector you can usually just lay it on the ground.

Hope you can try them.

Robert

Mike Moats
05-07-2008, 05:14 AM
Hey Cheryl, I like the comp and details, and agree with Robert on the fill light needed. I also carry a diffuser or silver/gold reflector to add fill light. I also carry a plamp to hold the reflectors if I don't have an extra hand.

Cheryl Flory
05-07-2008, 06:43 AM
Thank you Robert and Mike. I greatly value your comments!

Roman Kurywczak
05-07-2008, 07:33 AM
Hi Cheryl,
If you want to se a really low tech example of how this will work...........just use a piece of aluminum foil (shiny side out) taped to an 10x12" piece of cardboard! I use the reflectors (mostly gold).......but this will allow you to use something immediately and costs next to nothing!
Roman

Cheryl Flory
05-07-2008, 07:38 AM
Thanks, Roman. In fact, I just tried that this morning! lol, but I went even simpler, I used an aluminum pie plate. It worked well, but clumsy to fold up and put in your pocket. :) But it does fit into my backpack until I get a "real" diffuser.