View Full Version : 10 Most Expensive Photographs in the World

Tom Graham
07-23-2013, 11:54 AM
enjoy
http://freeyork.org/photography/10-most-expensive-photographs-in-the-world

Tom

Marina Scarr
07-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Interesting. A few of them made me scratch my head.

John Chardine
07-23-2013, 04:27 PM
I would go further Marina. They are mostly horrible. I like the Rhein II and of course the fantastic Billy the Kid photo. I will give some leeway in that the scale of these images as presented is too small to really judge some of them (e.g., dead troops).

Of course this is the problem with "ART". It is completely and utterly subjective. As a result (IMO; goes without saying), art has no place in universities where grades are given. How do you grade a piece of art? ("Oh I like that one, I'll give it 10/10; oh I hate it, it gets 2/10). BTW, here I use the word art in a very broad sense.

Gavin Slabbert
07-24-2013, 05:01 PM
There is no accounting for taste, to me they stink, but as John says, art is subjective, still nothing there that I would put up on my wall.

Diane Miller
07-24-2013, 05:53 PM
Reminds me of the world of high fashion, which is run by some very strange people who are making gobs of money off of the enterprise.

Tom Graham
07-26-2013, 12:17 AM
I agree with JC, really like Rhein II and Billy the Kid.
Tom

Cheryl Slechta
07-26-2013, 08:42 AM
Well, I know why I'm in OOTB:S3: I like quite a few of them, especially the Steichen who has stood the test of time. Although dead bodies are not my cup of tea I think even those images have merit. Now, are they worth millions of $? Whoever bought them thought so, and to me, it is important to do (or buy) what you like rather than what you think someone else will like. Just my two cents.