PDA

View Full Version : Coopers Hawk

Nonda Surratt
05-06-2008, 06:22 AM
Harold, FYI this guy doesn't like me either. Was working to get around on this guy to get a clear field for the image, didn't work so have green blobs. QM talents aren't up to removing them and a few other distractions.
MIII, 300at f3.5, ISO 400, 1/3200, +2/3

Gus Cobos
05-06-2008, 07:16 AM
Hi Nonda,
I like the overall concept and composition; but you have several issues that need to be corrected...:) The oof green blotches of leaves that are smack center on your bird's body; the twig that is stabbing him from the bottom and the twig that is running too close along the bird's left side. In addition, he looks kind of soft on my monitor; perhaps a little bit of selective sharpeninh around the face area, and you can also increase the contrast just a tad...:D All in all, I do like the composition...:)

Alfred Forns
05-06-2008, 07:50 AM
Some good points by Gus !!!!

Framing wise you cut off the tail but in this case is a tough call since you would be showing more of the log? I think the head is not in the same light as the rest of the body? Seems a little darker/dull so gives the appearance of being soft Should be able to lighten a bid then work on the eye to make it pop It is the first thing we look at.

The green blotches are removable but not very easily. The feather pattern will make it tough. Sometimes is better to accept them and go on. You did captured a great behavior. Also like how that bird is keeping an eye on you... might be thinking you want the prey !!!!!

Nonda Surratt
05-06-2008, 08:17 AM
Too many sticks Gus:) Did get rid of the one, green blobs are an issue, worked on head/eye/beak

Sid Overbey
05-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Very nice capture of this guy eating. They are great looking birds and amazing fliers. Gus pointed out the issues, but I do like the composition.

Alfred Forns
05-06-2008, 10:18 AM
HI Nonda Gave it a try with the leaves Not perfect but didn't have to spend that much time !! Just quick masking !!!

Kent Wilson
05-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Alfred --

Could you give some hints or a resource to show how you removed the leaves? That wold be especially useful for those of us who photograph in the woods.

Harold Davis
05-06-2008, 02:53 PM
repost looks great nonda. what is he eating?

Alfred Forns
05-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Sure Kent !!! It is not all that difficult once you get the hang of it

Would suggest to get Robert O'toole's CD He explains it in more detail that I could ever try Send him a PM Basically is a method using quick mask, layers and moving things around !!!!

Oscar Zangroniz
05-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Great capture Nonda, under the circumstances I think you did a heck of a shot here. I like Alfred" re-post.
Congrats,

Bruce Gove
05-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Hi Nonda,

Nice image!! Like it a lot. :) I have one of these guys locally who keeps all the other birds on their toes. Last spring we got to watch one take a shot at a Mourning Dove who wasn't paying enought attention. Fortuanately, they miss about half the time, but they seem to do pretty well in the big scheme of things..

Cheers,

Bruce

Nonda Surratt
05-07-2008, 05:43 AM
Thanks folks. Harold I think its a Grackle, he usually picks off doves when he is right in the backyard but this guy was down back, B jays were raising h-ll, I just followed the noise.

Bruce Gove
05-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Darn Blue Jays - I've got a nest full of Titmice about ready to fledge. It's amazing how the Jays start hanging around the next box right on schedule. I throw rocks at them!! ;)

Bruce