PDA

View Full Version : Bluet

Nancy Bell
07-21-2013, 01:48 PM
My very first damselfly photography attempt! OMGosh, it was so much fun! I believe this is a Bluet. What an amazing blue color! I found a small swarm while having a picnic at a high-altitude lake in Colorado. I know the granite rock is a very busy bkgd, but this is where they were landing and I just didn't want to give up on my first opportunity. As a result of reading the posts, I added an extension tube to my 70-200 lens so I could get close enough to get the detail I wanted. I now have an entirely new respect for those of you who photograph dragonflies and damselflies...it is a real challenge! I need to look for more places to find these critters. BTW, several people at the picnic grounds came over to see just what I was doing laying on the ground and pointing the camera at a rock!

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS lens, extension tube, 1/1600, f8, ISO 400

C & C most appreciated. Also, I'm not sure what is the best crop for this image.

Jonathan Ashton
07-21-2013, 03:26 PM
That's it Nancy - you've got the bug - pun intended! No stopping you now, you did really well good focus and DOF, the background is OK, ideally on a blade or stem of grass - next challenge!!
This looks very similar to what we call the Common blue damselfly, Enallagma annexum is yours, ours is Enallagma cyathigerum.
Good hunting let's see some more!

Mitch Haimov
07-21-2013, 05:51 PM
Excellent sharpness and subject! Well positioned in frame. Congrats on a successful first attempt! Agree a stem or similar would make a preferable perch-- those beautiful wireframe wings show up more clearly against a distant OOF BG. But you gotta make your images where you find them.

Nancy Bell
07-22-2013, 10:52 AM
Thanks Jonathon & Mitch. Semi-arid Colorado is not a hot-bed of odonata, I will have to look for some irrigation ditches with vegetation or maybe a farm pond that has not dried up.

Allen Sparks
07-22-2013, 08:58 PM
Hi Nancy, Congrats on this fine photo as I know from experience how tough it is to get all of a damselfly in good focus. I like the crop as is given the perch. Well done first attempt. - Allen

christopher galeski
07-23-2013, 01:08 AM
nice one Nancy,dont mind the rock as a perch,makes a change.

Nancy Bell
07-23-2013, 01:40 PM
Thank you Allen & Christopher!