PDA

View Full Version : Wildlife Image of the Week for the week ending June 7th, 2013: Gabriela Plesea - A Clash of Horns ( Kalahari Gemsboks)

Daniel Cadieux
07-19-2013, 02:22 PM
Congratulations Gabriela!

Waiting for hours on end at a waterhole in the Kalahari can be quite exhausting...it is midday, incredibly hot, dry, and uncomfortable. This is the time when Secretary Birds arrive in great numbers and land awkwardly near the water. Bateleurs seem to always get it right, they usually land into the waterhole. Black-backed Jackals come to quench their thirst and by the time they depart they are so full they can barely walk. Skittish Springboks approach the water carefully only to walk away minutes later still thirsty. The waterhole is a stage where dramas unfold every day and we are just spectators waiting for things to happen. This is one such occasion when myself and my partner were surprised by the sudden encounter between these two gemsboks-there was no warning and no visible body language to prepare us for the fight so all we got is a couple of images. I had to add canvas on the right side and clone out a few twigs here and there. The light was harsh so there was little or no detail on the eyes. If there is anything you think I could do to improve this image, I would appreciate your advice.

EXIF INFO:

Nikon D3S
Nikon 600mm F4
1/2500s
F6.3

Kind regards and many thanks,

Steve Kaluski
07-20-2013, 05:01 AM
Well done Gabriela, congratulations. :cheers:

Loi Nguyen
07-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Congratulations, Gabriela. This is a great action shot. Loi

John Ippolito
09-02-2013, 01:05 AM
Wow ! I missed this one. Not an easy creature to capture well - and you have managed to get two sparring ! Beautiful work, Gabriella.:cheers: