PDA

View Full Version : Northern Gannet

Karen Forderer
07-18-2013, 03:14 PM
I was visiting Cape St. Mary's, Newfoundland this June and this is one of the photos I was able to get. I was hard to get in flight shots as we were never quite sure which direction the birds would head next. This was our only sunny day and we didn't arrive until noon. I wish there was more light on the face but we were on a cliff to the north of the colony. It was an amazing experience, though, seeing thousands of these birds so close up.
Karen

D300s
80-400mm at 400
1/1000 at f8
ISO 200

gail bisson
07-18-2013, 05:30 PM
These are wonderful birds aren't they?
As you say, the light was harsh but it is what it is!
I like the symmetrical wing position and the visible eye.
I would like to see more room in front of the bird and wish that the gannet had cleared the OOF rock as it is very distracting. I would also clone out the specular highlights ( if not against your ethics).
Looking forward to more from your trip,
gail

Richard Stern
07-18-2013, 06:42 PM
Hi,

I agree with Gail's critique, and in addition would have liked the face in more sunlight and less shadow, and more detail on the feathering of the bird's body - I guess it's all from the harsh light. I agree that Cape St. Mary's is an amazing place, and a must stop on any birder's and photographer's itinerary. seems there's either harsh light or dense fog there!

Richard

Karen Forderer
07-18-2013, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the critique. Yes, unfortunately of the three days we were there, it was only sunny one afternoon, hence the harsh light. The next day it rained all day and the third day it was foggy. But I still enjoyed it and am very glad we went.

I do have some other photos where the gannet has cleared the rock. I wasn't sure if it was a distraction or not. I'll see what other photos I can post.

Marina Scarr
07-21-2013, 07:22 PM
Lovely pose and blue water backdrop for this bird. I would crop a bit from the left and top and tone down the white highlights.