PDA

View Full Version : Vermillion Lake, Banff, Canada

dankearl
07-15-2013, 11:53 PM
1/125, f16, iso250, 18mm, CP, D7000, Handheld

DSC_9912BP2.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130569&stc=1&d=1373950380)

Anette Mossbacher
07-16-2013, 10:30 AM
Hi Dan,

wonderful view and reflection. My first thought would be punch more contrast into the 2 LHS mountains, especially the very LHS one. I am wondering if the bright yellow/orange grass along the lake LHS is to bright. I would tone that down a bit with dodge/burn or curve!
The grass in the FG, not sure if that adds to the image or not! I personally might would go without the grass. But it depends all on your liking :bg3:

Have a great day

Ciao
Anette

Steve Kaluski
07-17-2013, 04:12 AM
Hi Dan, you certainly are stirring the memory banks on these postings, thanks.

Overall I do think it looks a tad too saturated, especially the blue of the water, even with a CP on I might have expected a more darker blue, but this is just my take :w3 Selectively dropping part of the exposure in the top half does bring back more depth & tone both in the mountain range & sky, likewise a bit more detail in the trees along the lake shoreline. Like Anette, I too am not sure if the grasses actually add or detract at the foot of the image? There might be a few dust bunnies bottom RH corner?

Am enjoying the series, thanks.

Steve :wave:

dankearl
07-17-2013, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the comments.
This is amped up as far as color goes.
I think that is standard for Landscape photography
From Art Wolfe to Timothy Wolcott.
I think that Landscape photography is supposed to be "enhanced".
The photo's, in my opinion, are not "snapshots", but interpretations of the natural world.
If anyone wants to chime in, I welcome your opinions.

Anette Mossbacher
07-18-2013, 07:05 AM
Hi Dan,

enhanced how far ? How far would you go?
Colors to pop, yes, maybe, people jump on that! But do all ?
Arte Wolf, oh yes he enhance. That is his style.
Than there are the HDR, or the slight HDR. Colors enhanced to the edge or just slightly. Where to start and where to find an end?
In that matter I would say. Find your style you love and stick with it, till you want to change it again!!
How far with enhancing the colors is up to you.
But would mention it with the post and what you are looking for to do better or need help to accomplish in LR or PS :w3

I have never been to this place, I cannot say much about color wise, only how it appears to me!
But again, it needs to suit your taste, your style and not mine :w3

Have a great day

Ciao
Anette

James Fuller
07-18-2013, 09:50 PM
The colors look great to me as presented. But then again I'm a big fan of vibrant and colorful scenes.

Don Railton
07-21-2013, 06:21 AM
Hello Dan I am all for adjusting the colour to enhance the image, but IMHO the end result has to be believable. When colours are 'beyond believable' (which will be difficult to determine sometimes...) then in my opinion the photo becomes nothing more than an artful interpretation of the scene and the truth of beauty in Nature is distorted. My opinion only of course, others will not agree and that fine. In this image I find the saturation a bit too strong, especially the yellow LHS waters edge. I also agree with the vote to remove the grass from the bottom. Its a beautiful scene, you are very luck to photo opportunities like this.. Don

Morkel Erasmus
07-23-2013, 05:27 PM
Lovely scene Dan, and good discussion.
I don't mind the image having a bit of "added oomph", though I would tone down the saturation a wee bit here if it were mine, and also there seems to be some latent magenta coming through especially in the mountains, clouds and water...

Andrew McLachlan
07-25-2013, 04:35 PM
Hi Dan, this is a lovely scene and I am in the no grasses in the foreground camp. Yes lots of folks do pump up the colors in their landscape imagery, and do a little too...sometimes it gives images that extra little punch. I guess it is a personal preference. In your image here, for me, the yellows are a little too saturated.