PDA

View Full Version : River Otters

Steve Kaluski
07-15-2013, 10:16 AM
One from only a few frames of these guys, the other you saw some while back, plus pictured in the old BPN interview. Taken mid afternoon on a rather dull day, nothing new there then. This is Mon & Dad, the three youngsters were off playing in the water. I left the blue fringing in, as it's in the shot.

Steve
Subject: North American River otters (Lontra canadensis)
Camera: Canon MKIII
Lens: 500f/4HH
Exposure: 1/320s at f/5.6 ISO400 0 stop compensation

Paul Taylor
07-15-2013, 11:05 AM
They've got attitude. Cute in the right way. Great capture and I really like it.

dankearl
07-16-2013, 12:50 AM
Very nice "couple" photo, although they look about as "happy" as most married couples.....
A bit higher iso and more DOF would have made this better, although it is a great pose and not
one I suppose you had time to adjust on the fly.

Brendon Cremer
07-16-2013, 02:46 AM
Lovely image Steve, really like the pose of the 2 of them together, like a happy couple. Colours, clarity and detail all looks great, and well complimented by a very nice OOF BG, i agree with Dan i may have chosen a slightly higher ISO and DOF but still tried to retain the OOF BG.

Rachel Hollander
07-16-2013, 06:39 AM
Hi Steve - great image of this pair with excellent detail. I like the creamy bokeh but agree a fraction more dof would have really ticked all the boxes. Color and sharpness look great too.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
07-16-2013, 07:49 AM
Hi folks, these guys do not hang around, plus this was a surprise more than anything and so I was more interested in getting a shot rather than missing it, however... :w3

Regarding DOF, the MKIII was only a 10m px camera and IMHO I would not like to go higher in ISO beyond 1000. Therefore as you know, to increase the DOF would mean lower SS and so I would need to up the ISO, but I don't think it would have gained enough SS to warrant changing, it was a fine balance then. :bg3: Now 2500 - 5000 or higher is not an issue, cameras have come a long way in a very short space of time, even my first CF card was only 1MB at $400 :Whoa!:

Thanks for looking.

Steve :wave:

Gabriela Plesea
07-16-2013, 08:18 AM
I guess this image is all about the cute muzzles and the attitude:bg3:, lovely sighting and so well captured, Steve!
Stunning processing as always:w3

...would love to see the little ones:bg3:!!!

Warmest regards,

Loi Nguyen
07-16-2013, 09:30 AM
Steve, they look like they were posing for you. Interesting that you seemed to be shooting upward. Great details and sharpness. Weather at Katmai was a problem for me last year, too, mostly cloudy-gloomy for 3 days when I was there early September with a brief sunshine at mid day. I find the dark band on top a wee bit distracting, wonder if it would be better to take a sliver of. Loi

Anette Mossbacher
07-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Hi Steve,

wonderful couple you've got here. Love it. Very nicely done as usual :bg3:
Hope you did not sell your 1GB CF card :w3

Ciao
Anette

John Ippolito
07-16-2013, 01:39 PM
Hi Steve, this one makes me smile. Excellent sharpness/details and dual pose on this handsome pair. BG is very nice. A bit more DOF would have been ideal, but in reality getting any decent image of this species is very difficult - and you have pulled it off nicely. Well done:cheers:

jack williamson
07-17-2013, 06:01 AM
Great of them to pose for you like this! Great detail for an "old" camera.

Jack

Stan Cunningham
07-17-2013, 05:42 PM
Unless you cropped this A LOT, I can't see how you could have improved dof, not when your subject is this close. River otters aren't that common in Katmai so good for you. Nice shot as usual.

vishaljadhav
07-20-2013, 01:10 PM
i like the focus on the faces , its interesting to see both of the faces in focus
Expression on both the faces are nice and very timely captured.
Love the colour

Andreas Liedmann
07-22-2013, 11:12 AM
Hi Steve,
sooooo sweet those two otters.

Besides your usual IQ and all the rest, that is good as most of the times, just want to say i like it as presented, if there is an option , maybe losing a bit from the top ...?

TFS Andreas