PDA

View Full Version : Cape of Good Hope

Anette Mossbacher
07-15-2013, 06:28 AM
Somewhere in the National Park at the beach with the view at the cape of good hope. The last mountain in the sea!
LR WB a few settings, graduate for sky.
PS Mid-tone contrast, a bit dodge / burn on the RHS rock in FG to darken. A tad desaturated, Levels, PS CS6 sharpened.

MKIV
f/22 ISO 50 208 seconds
Lee Big Stopper

Rachel Hollander
07-15-2013, 08:37 AM
Hi Anette - nice job on the blurred water and the clouds. Personally I find the white rock with orange lichen on the lhs distracting and would crop from the bottom to remove it creating a pano, which I feel is a stronger image. You still have the leading lines of the rocks in the water.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
07-15-2013, 07:28 PM
Hi Anette, I love this...what I love most is how the cloud in the center seems to have retained some sharpness even at 208 seconds. I really like the lichen encrusted white rock in the foreground, but it may be just a tad bright. Perhaps toning it down a little bit more would do the trick. Fabulous work!

dankearl
07-15-2013, 11:36 PM
I like everything about this, the lichen especially!
I think the photo would be bland without it.
Nice use of extremely long exposure, well handled and not easy to do.

Anette Mossbacher
07-16-2013, 04:41 AM
Hi Rachel, Andrew and Dan,

thanks so much for your comments, I highly appreciate it.

Rachel, when I would crop out the FG in my thoughts it will lose a lot of interesting "stuff". The horizon I put on purpose in the middle. Before this image was taken, I took a few images just with my gadget phone. That was to see where to put what. Also the phone has a bigger screen, better to see!

The clouds have been moving in snail speed, was tricky to get them a least a bit moving. I started up with 1min and ended with 208 seconds to get the clouds at least moving a few meters in this image.
Andrew, will turn down the brights a tad more. Fast done :bg3:

Thanks so much again

Enjoy your day and week

Ciao
Anette

James Fuller
07-16-2013, 11:45 PM
Foreground rocks are great, the soft water is very pleasing, and the movement in the sky puts this over the top. Great image Anette!

John Ippolito
07-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Composition, foreground elements all work well for me, and I too think the sky movement is quite stunning. Congrats on not being afraid to put the horizon sqaure in the middle - sometimes it is the best choice. Very well done, Anette:S3:

Anette Mossbacher
07-17-2013, 02:37 PM
Hi James and John,

thanks so much for your comments and time. I highly appreciate it :bg3:

Have a great day

Ciao
Anette

Steve Kaluski
07-18-2013, 02:47 AM
Love it Anette, great call on the techs and usage of kit, take this with you in September, if you make a landing this would be a really cool way to shoot that landscape. Lets not mention where, keep it a surprise, LOL. :bg3:

If you were to have got lower to change the ration from 50/50 to thirds, still retaining what you have in camera, might this have given an even more dramatic POV????

TFS
Steve

Anette Mossbacher
07-18-2013, 03:46 AM
Hi Steve,

thank you very much. Will try with your suggestion how it looks. Have a few more on the drive of that spot.
For sure my kit will come along. Had it in mind all the time and out often, to play with it lately quite often. To get the time/settings faster set. That the try outs are not more than just 1-2 before I hit the sweet setting :w3
Have all that stuff always in the bag, never know what comes along :bg3:
Will stay silent :w3

Have a great day

Ciao
Anette

Morkel Erasmus
07-23-2013, 05:20 PM
I just love this.
Enough interest in FG and sky to warrant the 50/50 split.
Great colours, mood and comp!
:5

Jason Stander
08-04-2013, 03:21 AM
This image works very well fro me... excellent vibrancy, detail and comp.... beautiful feel to the water.... there is a lovely soft feel to the shot... WD