PDA

View Full Version : Wood Duck: Small in Frame

Miguel Palaviccini
07-14-2013, 07:19 PM
While waiting for a specific species to get closer, I have been finding myself taking photos that might work in the "Small in Frame" category. I find that these usually work best (for me) when the foreground and background are relatively clean and non-distracting. I believe this was the case here. Taken a couple of months ago in Orlando, FL. A precursor to this shot (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/110962).

Shooting Info:
Nikon D800 | 500 f/4 VR +1.4x
1/640 | f/6.3 | ISO 1250

Randy Stout
07-14-2013, 07:38 PM
Miguel:

I do appreciate alternative views on our subjects, and have done a number of small in frame images. I tend to lean the other way, in regards to the environment. I don't want to overpower the subject, but generally want some sense of texture and depth.

I think he is too small here, and since the environment is rather simple, there isn't enough to keep my interest.

This is a very personal take on it, and will look forward to other's input.

I applaud your looking at alternative interpretations however!

Cheers

Randy

Miguel Palaviccini
07-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Thanks for your input Randy, always invaluable! This is a full frame shot, so I could probably crop quite a bit and still have acceptable IQ. I'll take a look at alternative compositions.

Karl Egressy
07-14-2013, 08:25 PM
I tend to agree with Randy. If you go a tighter crop, it will look better IMO.

Troy Lim
07-14-2013, 09:10 PM
I agree, going wider with just the lake doesn't work for me either unless it is like a foggy lake or some other elements involved.
I like your thought of going wider.

Tim King
07-14-2013, 09:26 PM
I like it. Nice work.

James Fuller
07-14-2013, 10:12 PM
Artsy!

Frank Schauf
07-14-2013, 11:18 PM
Beautiful and colorful image, nice comp.

Diane Miller
07-14-2013, 11:44 PM
You could crop to a vertical and still have the gorgeous reflection. Depending on what you want for an aspect ratio, you could take a little off the top but it would be a shame to chop into the reflection, which needs room to end.

arash_hazeghi
07-15-2013, 01:45 AM
this is very nice, I love the calm water and open beak. I agree with Randy that it is a bit small in the frame. I would crop tighter

David Salem
07-15-2013, 10:02 AM
I like the pose of the duck and the color and detail for a small crop. I like the concept of this but I think it would look great as a dollar bill sized vertical. Keep everything on the left. Nice work and vision.

vishaljadhav
07-15-2013, 11:21 AM
Interesting image, the bird is sharp and the BG and FG are lovely , i like the idea completely
in case i want to change anything then i may crop a inch of the bottom , great work

Stu Bowie
07-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Hi Miguel, looks like Im going to be the odd one out here - I like this lots and would only add a touch of contrast to the wood duck. Lovely soft light.

Well seen, and well captured.

Jeannean Ryman
07-15-2013, 12:26 PM
I like your small in the frame shots, but think this might be just a *little* too small. I wouldn't crop a lot, but maybe some off the bottom and right side might bring it in, yet maintaining the feel.

Randy Stout
07-15-2013, 01:00 PM
Miguel:

I have looked at your image several times, and still feel as I originally mentioned, with this combination of elements, the bird is too small.

I have cropped a bit, and added a gradient to the bottom to give a bit of an anchor or weight to the bottom of the image to counterbalance the bird.

You certainly can do better on the original, but the balance seems better to me here. Just an option for you. I think the bird being a bit larger shows him off nicely.

Cheers

Randy

gail bisson
07-15-2013, 04:05 PM
Hi Miguel.
I like this one. In the OP it almost looks like the duck is going to fall off " the edge".
I really like the way the reflection is.
I would go for something between your OP and Randy's repost,
Gail

dankearl
07-15-2013, 07:41 PM
Your IQ is very good and such beautiful still water.
I think Randy's crop is about right for me.

Miguel Palaviccini
07-15-2013, 11:12 PM
Thanks for all of the comments. I think I like Randy's repost, but with a little more off the top. This is the reason I post on BPN, to get this kind of feedback.

Girish Prahalad
07-16-2013, 06:40 AM
well executed image! lovely calling pose & details. prefer the OP in terms of comp.

Marina Scarr
07-16-2013, 10:52 AM
Both images work for me, as would something in between the 2. I really like the feel to these and the colors.

Satish Ranadive
07-16-2013, 11:12 PM
Miguel;
Nice discussion about this image. I like both composition ,still my personal test I will go with repost.
Beautiful bird,nice colors and pose.

Regards,
Satish.