PDA

View Full Version : Moraine Lake

dankearl
07-14-2013, 02:46 PM
Banff , Canada last fall.

1/100, f11, iso400, 18mm (18-105mm), D7000, Handheld.

DSC_0213bp.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130513&stc=1&d=1373831143)

James Fuller
07-14-2013, 10:07 PM
What a nice setting you've captured here! I like the contrast of the greens and blues, and the reflection adds interest. My eyes are drawn to the rocks in the lower right corner, it appears they might have a hazy look to them?

Is this a glacially fed lake?

Anette Mossbacher
07-15-2013, 06:21 AM
Hi Dan,

great scenery. Love the reflection in the water. The colors are great. Did you try to drop a bit the blue in the shadow of the mountains on the LHS? Check it out!
I agree with James with the rocks on the RHS. For me it looks as well like haze or forgot selective to brush over. No idea.

Have a great week

Ciao
Anette

Rachel Hollander
07-15-2013, 08:32 AM
Hi Dan - I love Moraine Lake. It's such a majestic scene. On the comp front, is this ff? I wish you had a bit more room below and perhaps more on the lhs to bring the peak more into the corner. As is, the image feels a bit thin and like the shadows were opened up substantially. I took the liberty of bringing the image into CS6, adjusting the midtone levels slider to the right a bit, a hue/saturation adjustment darkening and adding some sat to the greens, removing some of the blue cast from the shadows on the lhs, and adding a couple of points of black to the neutrals and blacks. WDYT?

TFS,
Rachel

dankearl
07-15-2013, 08:46 AM
I like what you have done, Rachel.
To be honest, I can't remember if this is FF or not, I processed it a while back, not sure if cropped or not.
The rocks on the RHS was just sloppy PP, I did bring them up, but should have added some contrast.
It was taken in Late September, the sun angle that far north at that time is not ideal for
this location as the lake is in shadow all day pretty much, but I just thought it was spectacular.
Thanks for taking the time and making it better!

Rachel Hollander
07-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Dan - I'm glad you like it. The shadows there are tough. Did you climb the rock pile and take images from the top?

dankearl
07-15-2013, 09:07 AM
Rachel, yes, early in the morning, but the contrast with the light was too much, I Should have gone back later.
This was taken a bit later just walking around the Lake to get a better sun angle.

Andrew McLachlan
07-15-2013, 07:22 PM
Hi Dan, lots of good advice for this one already. It is a lovely scene and worth re-working the image to fix up the rocks on the right side. Rachel makes a good point about the mountain peak's reflection being cut off. I'd love to see a repost if you are so inclined.

dankearl
07-15-2013, 11:34 PM
Thanks Andrew.
I have the Raw on my backup hard drive, not sure if it is worth retrieving.
Rachel really gave me stuff to think about.
I have not done Landscape for awhile so I forgot how much PP skill is involved.
I am determined to post more here so I am just going to post another Banff photo.
i have a lot, and have only posted a couple.

Diane Miller
07-15-2013, 11:43 PM
It is worth retrieving! Rachel's touchup brings it to a level of excellence.

Not to sideline the discussion, but do you only have your RAW files on one drive (a backup)?

dankearl
07-15-2013, 11:48 PM
Diane,
Yes, I keep files on my computer for a couple of weeks and just back up and delete them off the computer.
I am not good enough or see no real reason to do more. It is a hard drive backup (Lacie), so I assume they are fine if I
ever really need to retrieve one. They are there, I spot check each time I back up.

Diane Miller
07-16-2013, 10:08 AM
That's fine as far as it goes, but hard drives come with a red tag that says "Guaranteed to fail." They are very inexpensive these days, and if you want to save all your image files from possible demise, get a second drive and back up the backup. Because your backup isn't a backup -- it's primary storage for your raw files. And you should have a backup for the drive on the computer that contains the image files you have worked up. I know 3 people that I can think of offhand (and there are probably more) who have lost huge numbers of files (all, in one case) by not having a backup.

You can get a backup program that you can set to run every time you plug in the new backup drive, or on a schedule.

And if you don't have a battery backup for your computer (uninterruptible power supply), that's a major item for protection of your resources, too. Available at any office supply or computer store and not expensive. Your household power supply is also guaranteed to fail, and it can take down your computer.

Steve Kaluski
07-17-2013, 03:27 AM
Hi Dan, Rachel did a good job on the RP, just need to pull back the Blue in the mountain face and get a bit more tone in there, as you already have it, should be good to execute. It's a great drive, know well, did Banff to Jasper return in a day, cracking drive, love that 'horseshoe' sweeping bend, also used to ski at Lake Louise.

Makes me want to return, thanks.

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
07-23-2013, 05:33 PM
Lovely scene, Dan, with strong diagonal lines and a classic view.
Rachel's repost is exactly what I would have done. I agree with Steve on taking some blue out of the peaks.