PDA

View Full Version : inland sea

John Chardine
07-11-2013, 04:01 PM
The Gulf of St. Lawrence is an inland sea. I wanted to try my "big stopper" 6x ND filter today and had a go on the shore overlooking the east coast of the Gaspé Peninsula, Québec. It is a spectacular shoreline but you still have to work to not include "hand of man" elements, which personally I eschew with a passion.

I had lots of light so still had to use a very small aperture to get the long shutter speed I wanted. I applied a graduated ND filter to the sky and used Levels (mid-tones) for a more dramatic effect.

Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Lens: EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM, @ 28 mm
Program: Manual
ISO 50, 5s, f/18

Andrew McLachlan
07-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Hi John,

I have yet to make up along here but it is on my list to do so. I really like what you have created here by using the 6X ND filter. I think it worked very well for this scene and I especially like the lighting around the group of rocks in the water. Beautifully done!

James Fuller
07-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Excellent composition and lighting, love the effect of the slow shutter speed in this image!

Vivaldo Damilano
07-12-2013, 03:21 AM
Stunning frame John, like the mood you have created here, blur from ND filter works so nicely. I also like the dark clouds and water splashing on FG rock, nicely done.

Rachel Hollander
07-12-2013, 08:27 AM
Hi John - the effect of the slow ss and ND filter worked really well here to create a mood with the blurred water, bit of mist and some drama in the clouds. I might have included a little more on the lhs to allow that cliff to fully come down to the shoreline/water if possible. A very minor point but there's a small dust spot in the clouds on the lhs.

TFS,
Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
07-12-2013, 11:23 AM
Hi John,
very nice image. For me the boost is missing in the sky and in the lights around the rock. As well at the LHS this clif could be brought a bit more out, or better said a bit more brightened.
The RP from me is what I have in mind.
I pushed up the Lights luminosity selective around the big rock in the FG and above upper LHS in the clouds. Sharpened the clouds a bit. Mid-tone contrast 1 round. At the end Levels. I pulled the right slider to 245.
WDYT?

John Chardine
07-13-2013, 05:18 AM
I like what you have done Anette. Thanks for taking the time. I guess once you have departed from the original scene as I did, the sky is the limit.

Rachel- re the cliff at the left, there is a hotel just to the left of the frame and I couldn't more of the cliff without including it. This is what I was alluding to with my "hand of man" comment.

Thanks all.

dankearl
07-14-2013, 02:41 PM
I like the OP, The repost seems a bit fake for me.
Nice SS, and a nice mood to this.

Jerry van Dijk
07-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Hi John, epic light in this image! I like it every much. Re. the rock on the left, you might consider a version with the rock completely cropped off. I do think there is to few of it in the frame to nicely balance the FG rock, and simplicity suits the image. Like Dan, I prefer the more subdued atmosphere in the OP.