PDA

View Full Version : Challenge

John Ippolito
07-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Brown Bear<o:p></o:p>

Shelikof Strait, Alaska<o:p></o:p>

D800, 500 f4 VR, ISO 1000, f/7.1, 1/1000, tripod/Wimberly at knee level, crop from top, NX2, CS5, Luminosity Masking.<o:p></o:p>

A friend and I camped out for the better part of June on a wild and windswept Alaska Peninsula beach. I'm just now sifting through some of the images.

We encountered this moderate size adult male brown bear and quite a few others exhibiting aggressive displays of dominance, leading to a number of close encounters in the field. <o:p></o:p>
This male spied us from across the tide flats, making an unambiguous, direct approach for more than a hundred yards. We held our ground - the bear eventually getting inside the focus range of the 500, finally making a slight detour to our left, passing at less than 3 yards with a few jaw pops and huffs. Large males with a surfeit of testosterone may try to intimidate you. Sometimes it is wise to back off or step aside while they are still some distance away - other times it is best to hold pat. Knowing body language and a gut feeling about the bear's mood is key.<o:p></o:p>

Steve Kaluski
07-10-2013, 02:38 PM
Hi John will come back with feedback later, however please do not say this was with Brad. :Whoa!:

John Ippolito
07-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Hi John will come back with feedback later, however please do not say this was with Brad. :Whoa!:

Hi Steve,
Not to worry, It was not Brad :S3: I've always been my own bear guide over the years.

BTW, I am working with a new NEC Multisync monitor, so the color may not be stabilized on calibration yet.

Rachel Hollander
07-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Hi John - I'm not on my calibrated monitor so won't comment on color but wow, you sure know how to take a game of chicken to another level. Better you than me. The low pov, intense eye contact, visible claws and slight splash all combine for an excellent image.
TFS,
Rachel

Loi Nguyen
07-10-2013, 04:56 PM
WoW! We were at Brooks Lodge and although we got pretty close to the bears, they tend to avoid eye contact when they pass thru camp. This guy looked at you straight and assumed a dominant stance. You couldn't be more than 25 yards when this image taken I would guess. Great details, intense stare, fantastic pose. Wonderful image, but scary to be behind the camera. Loi

dankearl
07-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Great story and fantastic detail you have.
That stare is awesome.

jack williamson
07-10-2013, 09:55 PM
The exposure and details are awesome. I don't know if the color is exactly right but it looks excellent to me. Great story, it must have been pretty intense having this fellow coming in so close!

Jack

Steve Kaluski
07-11-2013, 01:22 AM
Hi John, I am very envious, love Bears and this is, one cool bear. The adrenalin rush being so close is great and memorable, I just wish people took the opportunity to see these great characters.

Knowing body language and a gut feeling about the bear's mood is key.

Absolutely John, understand this and the rewards are as above and both parties are happy & content. :S3:

As presented I like it, but can't help wonder what would it have looked like with the whole reflection in? The mud flats add a nice texture/interest between FG & BKG. Adding a mid tone overall helps, plus some Selective adjustment of the Neutrals & Blacks, just brings a bit more depth to the image, especially to the front paws & water. This can also be done in LR at the RAW stage, however I'm sure NX2 has a similar option. Lastly John, and this is just me, but cleaning up the few 'spots' for a better description in the water & sand within the BKG on the RHS really makes a difference. I know they are natural, but somehow the image looks cleaner. If you want to see the direction let me know, will RP.

Hope to see more from this trip.

TFS
Steve

Girish Prahalad
07-11-2013, 08:17 AM
thats an intense looking bear! wonderful pose & details. like the comp very much.

John Ippolito
07-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the great feedback everyone.

Hi Steve,

I have no frames with more of a reflection in the image. In fact the pool was interspersed with more mud/sand bars than water with the tide mostly out. The frames preceding had no reflection, and in the very next one, the bear was in the disturbed water and not the best pose.

I agree, that I can pull more out of this as it is almost a full frame with plenty of pixels. I tend to be a bit slapdash in working up the jpeg images unless I decide to make a print, then I might spend a week on it. You've inspired me to re-work this one when I get a chance based on your observations and insights. Always appreciate for your suggestions. You need to offer a PP workshop.

Also, as you know the bears study us more than we study them - usually in their peripheral vision. They are smart, quick studies.

Steve Kaluski
07-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Bears should never be under estimated and always treated with respect, they are immensely intelligent/smart animals and as you say John, they take in more than we give them credit for.

You are most welcome John, if you need any help please feel free to drop me a line as I think a revisit will pay off nicely and take the image to the next level and where it needs to be. :cheers:

Anette Mossbacher
07-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Hi John,

what a great image of this chap. You've got already suggestions from the others. very impressive image :bg3:

have a great day

Ciao Anette

John Ippolito
07-12-2013, 01:26 PM
I cleaned up the BG a bit and added a few points of black to the blacks and neutrals in selective color, masking out the eyes and black on the nose. Added just a smidge more black in the red channel as well.

Also - Thanks, Anette for your comment!

Gabriela Plesea
07-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Dear John- this is one stunning image and the RP is exceptional, if I may say so. There's something special about this bear, perhaps the expression on its face that makes this photograph such attractive to the eye! This is a bear with an attitude:S3: ...Nice and sharp, love the water splash from the paws, love the warmth of the colors and especially the browns, that open mouth, the stare, the stance, what a great image altogether! Congratulations!

Kind regards,

Steve Uffman
07-14-2013, 12:39 AM
Stunning is an apt description Intensity or should i say tension is way up there. Provokes emotion in viewers imo

and you will love the NEC multisync

Tim King
07-14-2013, 09:42 PM
Nice bold pose. I like the clean look at the claws.

John Ippolito
07-16-2013, 02:11 PM
Thanks Gabriela, Steve, and Tim for the kind words and feedback. Very much appreciated!

Steve, I am liking the NEC multisync a lot, and calibration is a breeze with the Spectraview software and puck. Beats my old LaCie 324 after its sudden death.