PDA

View Full Version : Approaching Storm

Andrew McLachlan
07-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Yesterday the Toronto, Ontario area was hit with a wild rainstorm that dumped a significant amount of rain on the city. An amount that came close to beating the record that was set by Hurricane Hazel back in 1954. Not that I would know as I had not yet entered this world in 1954 :S3: As I was driving home from the Toronto area prior to the start of the storm I decided to take the farm roads home to grab a few last photos with a Sigma 15mm fisheye lens that was loaned to me by Sigma Canada. As I came upon this farm scene the dark clouds and golden wheat caught my eye so I pulled off to the side of the road for a few last images before returning the lens.

Nikon D800
Sigma 15mm f2.8 EX DG Fisheye Lens
ISO 800
f16 @ 1/160 sec
Handhedl

Look forward to comments.

Vivaldo Damilano
07-10-2013, 12:11 PM
An impressive storm Andrew, worth the longer ride on the sand road.. I really like the golden light falling on the wheat crops and the very dark clouds. This sigma lens looks to be very sharp.

James Fuller
07-11-2013, 10:10 PM
I love a good storm, they always make for great images! This image doesn't have much of a fisheye look, but I do like whatever you did here to correct it. The yellow of the rolling fields contrasts nicely with the storm and the little red barn gives a nice perspective of just how grand the storm clouds are.

Rachel Hollander
07-12-2013, 08:33 AM
Hi Andrew - your detour paid off well. I really like the rolling field of wheat, the placement of the barn, the impending storm and the light. Nicely captured.

TFS,
Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
07-12-2013, 01:01 PM
Hi Andrew,

very nice image and light. I agree with Rachel, detour was great :bg3:
I might would add more drama/contrast to the clouds. Mid-tone selective for the clouds only. Give it 2-3 rounds if you like, just to see the difference.

have a great day

Ciao
anette

Andrew McLachlan
07-15-2013, 07:34 PM
Much thanks folks for the comments.

Anette...I will give your idea a try on the clouds I think it may give them some extra punch.

James...I utilized the Virtual Horizon function on the D800 to ensure the camera was square with th world. When a fisheye lens is held square with the world and not pointing up or down the distortion effects of the lens are minimized. I posted numerous distorted views in my most recent blog post...see link below.

Morkel Erasmus
07-26-2013, 01:16 AM
I really like this one Andrew...what I like most is the complimentary curvature in the fields below and the sky above, flowing lines like waves.
I agree adding some punch to the clouds should lift this. Off to the blog now! :5