PDA

View Full Version : I need a Bigger Boat!

dankearl
07-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Orca Whale in the Puget Sound in the Pacific Northwest, US.
Maybe more of a Landscape photo?
Taken from a small boat, the toughest photo session I have ever done!

1/1250, f6.3, iso400, 600mm, (300 f2.8 w/ 2x), D800, HH

DSC_6383bp2.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130322&stc=1&d=1373330961)

Rachel Hollander
07-09-2013, 07:27 AM
Hi Dan - always nice to see something different and I really like the inclusion of the lighthouse in the bg, excellent timing and awareness of your surroundings. Yes, small boats definitely present their own challenges.

TFS,
Rachel

Gabriela Plesea
07-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Hello Dan! Great sighting of this Orca, and the background is a killer:w3!!!Love the colour of the water:S3: Oh I cannot help it, my eyes are drawn to the beautiful landscape and the lighthouse constantly:2eyes2:! I think you should upload this in the landscape section as well, let everyone enjoy it-beautiful, thank you for sharing this!

Kind regards,

Morkel Erasmus
07-09-2013, 04:00 PM
I would love to see an Orca in the wild. Shooting from a boat is never easy, especially when shooting at longer focal lengths. I think you did well.
Love the framing with the lighthouse at the back - would have just liked a sliver more space so the "steeple" doesn't touch the top frame?

Steve Kaluski
07-10-2013, 08:15 AM
Hi Dan, boats are a good thing to shoot from, technically challenging as you have found out, but makes you a better photographer having had the experience, plus you can find you have to shoot in a different manor too. I quite like the lighthouse, but want more above without clipping the pinnacle. Have you tried a pano with just the Orca and the water, just cropping a shore level, could be a different tac?

TFS
Steve

jack williamson
07-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Well done from a small boat and HH. I like that I can recognize what the BG is.

Jack

Anette Mossbacher
07-10-2013, 02:17 PM
Hi Dan,

very well done from a little boat. That is never easy t do. I as well like the BG very much, but would try a pano as well, just to see. I agree with Gabriela, my eyes are as well always drawn to the BG.
Very nice image :bg3:

Ciao
Anette

John Ippolito
07-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Hi Dan, good comp, details and exposure on the orca. The setting works well for me. Nicely done, especially from a boat.