PDA

View Full Version : Grand for a Reason

Gary "Jake" Jacobson
01-05-2008, 11:59 PM
http://www.smugmug.com/photos/240133339-L-1.jpg

Grand Canyon - early evening light. Canon EOS 20D 17-85mm IS, tripod, cable release, mirror lock, 1/60, f 9, iso 400

Robert Amoruso
01-06-2008, 08:56 AM
Cool light, tones and textures here. I know that sometimes in these images its hard to tell were to intersect elements at the edges but I feel that a bit more on top would have included the tops of a few of the peaks. I like how the valleys lead you around the image in different ways.

Gyorgy Szimuly
01-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Very nice shot. Love the layer of colors. Fantastic formations.
Szimi

Paul Marcellini
01-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Composition works for me. Doesn't look like much haze at all. The colors are great.

Paul

Rich Ikerd
01-06-2008, 12:00 PM
I like the composition here Gary - its hard to include the edges of the canyon sometimes since there normally isn't much of interest there. The colors here are super as well - nice to see that there wasn't much haze for you.

Alfred Forns
01-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Like the image a lot Gary Excellent colors and light Agree on wanting to see a little more of the top Particularly the top right !!! Very fine image !!!!

Jason Hahn
01-07-2008, 07:25 AM
There are so many possibilities here, I think you made a good compromise in creating this image, and came away with a really nice image. I like the depth and color and textures a lot, there is lots of interest throughout the scene. One thought to address the nits about the missing tops in the distance would have been to pan slightly left and up. This would have included a little more of the outcropping on the left side, but placed it closer to the bottom corner so becomes more of a leading line bringing your eye into the scene, plus the tops of the other ridges would have been included then. Not sure if this would have worked having not been there, and I would be very happy to have this image just the way it is.

Jason

Gary "Jake" Jacobson
01-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the feedback and ideas! This image probably would not have worked including the tops of the peaks because of the overcast sky and boring skyline. I had other images that included the sky and it loses your interest very quickly as a viewer. It does seem that when shooting the Grand Canyon that a wide angle lens is sometimes not wide enough. Next time I get back there I'll see if I can make the fine-tuning suggestions you mention. Thanks again!

Arthur Morris
01-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Wow, amazing color. Great suggestions by RAM and Jason. I feel so strongly about being able to see the tops of the peaks at the top that I would love to see one with just a tiny strip of sky (however boring...)

later and love, artie

ps: Great work RAM and Jason!