PDA

View Full Version : Thirsty

Anette Mossbacher
07-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Etosha, Hyena having a drink around 9am. The light was already quite strong at that time in the morning. There have been 4 Hyenas at this waterhole having their fun. When I have arrived they just came from on side out of nowhere to drink. I assume they had a eating outing somewhere :bg3:
LR adjustments, Ps correction again for WB to get this better done. Levels, selective color to get more the blue out of the water. Mid-tone contrast as well dodge / burn for more contrast in the fur.
At the end checking again Levels and of it goes in here. Sharpening CS6

MKIV
300mm f/2.8 & 2x ext. II ( Steve I do have now the 2x ext III :w3 )
f/6.3 1/8000sec ( they played around!! )
ISO 800 ( should be 400, but had it higher, as they came running and jumped around all the time )
9am

jack williamson
07-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Looks well exposed with plenty of detail Anette. Other than the darker shadows the light looks pretty good.

Jack

Dperkell
07-08-2013, 04:31 PM
Think it's great Anette

dankearl
07-08-2013, 07:36 PM
The Hyena looks very good.
I would tone down the BG, the light doesn't look that harsh, but the photo could go a bit darker for me.

Rachel Hollander
07-09-2013, 07:24 AM
Hi Anette - Nice choice on the portrait comp and I like the space and environment around. I think it feels a bit thin and would add a couple of points of black to the blacks and neutrals in selective color. Personally I'm not sure about the blue and cyan you added to the water. My recollection is that most of the waterholes in Etosha had that brown dirt look more than anything.

TFS,
Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
07-09-2013, 09:07 AM
Thank you very much Jack, Darren and Dan.
Jack I will have a look into the shadow area, thanks :bg3:

Have a great day

Ciao
Anette

Anette Mossbacher
07-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Hi Rachel,

thanks so much. You have misunderstood with the blue. No, my English must be then not correct. I took blue "away" of the water :w3 For me the water was quite blue, only a few waterholes had the muddy look. That one was actually very clear, the water I mean. I added already +2 neutral & blacks in selective color, but can push it up to +4 or 5 and check it out how it looks than.
Thanks so much Rachel.

Have a great day

Ciao
Anette

Gabriela Plesea
07-09-2013, 10:52 AM
This is a lovely image, Anette-I particularly like the crop and the space around the subject, also the long grass in front (it directs the eye towards the hyaena so well). I usually try to emphasize the blue of the water-just wondering, why did you try to take the blue away? Also, perhaps the wet sand/mud near the water could be a tad darker, IMHO it would add depth to the image. The hyaena is very sharp and I like the water droplets from its mouth-stunning capture!

Warmest regards,

Anette Mossbacher
07-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Hi Gabriela,

the blue of the water I took "away" for the reason, that it was not to much blue. More like you see in the image. Rachel mentioned already, that the water at many waterholes in Etosha looks more mud color. I even have been at a waterhole with nearly black color water. Was quite yucky. Was glad that I did not had to drink that. :w3
I assume at some angles the water looks more blue-ish. If I would have let the blue color in, the water would be way to dominant for the image itself! My thought on the blue.
I cropped not much. Just a tad on top and bottom. The image looked than much more nicer to me :bg3:
Thanks so much for stopping by
oh, will add your suggestions to the image as well the ones from Rachel and Jack :bg3:

have a great evening

Ciao
Anette

Morkel Erasmus
07-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Exposure overall looks good here. I like your vertical framing with the grasses in front, makes me feel like I'm on a walking safari sitting hidden behind the grass and watching.
The dripping water is a nice touch.

Loi Nguyen
07-10-2013, 12:36 AM
Lovely image. comp. I too like the dripping water and reflection. Loi

Steve Kaluski
07-10-2013, 08:11 AM
Hi Anette, I think this is one of your best, looks well processed too. Sharpness & clarity look spot on, think you have nailed this one, now just remember what you did. :bg3:

A lower POV would have been better and still to retain a lot of the FG vegetation, however I appreciate limitations. I here what Morkel is thinking of re walking trip, if you ever want to do that let me know, I have a really good friend who will certainly get you in close & personal. Without reading the rest of the comments I too thought you could push the exposure a tad more both in the top, but more importantly at the foot of the image re the water etc, WDYT? Having now read the comments there seems to be a few who think the same. The blue I think looks OK. All very simple and can be achieved at the RAW stage too. Bring a big note pad for Bern :bg3: and I have negotiated a good rate with the Swiss bank for you too, they will accept those really, really BIG Milka bars now :w3

TFS
Steve

Anette Mossbacher
07-10-2013, 09:18 AM
Hi Steve,

lolololol, Milka Bars, I try to get the biggest ones I can get, here in enemy country for Milka :t3
Swiss Bank, we have here one and when I look around here are loooooots of gangsters :bg3::w3
Big Note pad, have an iPad, 64GB is that enough? Will steal my daughters drawing book, there are 100s of pages in it. I can bring also the newest Mac Book Pro even with retina display. No no, that does not belng to me, it belongs to my daughter. Has LR on it, but not PS!

Image: I for sure do remember what I did. Have the stack of layers sitting here. Every layer has notes what I did written in it!! LR I see what I did :bg3: Has a few dots.
I see in your RP what you have done and will try to adjust mine than RP again.
Thanks so much Steve for all your help.
I assume you are still out there, have much fun in the field.
Since I had to put back my Heidi dirndl in the closet for visitors, I can go now freely as well on photo hunt. Have a nice place in mind, found by accident :bg3:

Have a great day

Ciao
Anette

PS lower pov impossible, was in my Jeep and the ground was about 1,5m higher than the waterhole, sadly. No way to go around that.
Walking Safari, will come back to this one for sure. Just need to get over my experience with Lions on a walking Safari! Had not much to distract them for throwing away :w3

Steve Kaluski
07-10-2013, 10:53 AM
Hi Anette, I know about the POV, as i said would have been nice, but fully understand the restraints.

Sadly now back, very intense day Monday, thank God for 32GB cards, yesterday was a bit of a washout, so back home and I can start to add my thoughts. If you can invest in PS, CS6 or as an Upgrade great, it's a perfect match for LR, best of buddies and between the two you can do so much.

Lions, a walk in the park, how about big BULL elephants? I send you a link.

Cheers
Steve

Anette Mossbacher
07-10-2013, 11:39 AM
HI Steve,

here the RP, adjusted the black & neutral, added a bit more Graduate Neutral to the BG as well. Darkened the ground around the waters edge. Applied Saturation mask a tad. Levels again at the end. Sharpened in PS CS6 WDYT?

Elephant bulls are fine with me. I can jump in a warthogs hole, if needed :bg3:
Curious about the link.

I am as well glad for 32GB cards, very helpful :w3
I do have PS CS6 and LR5 on my Desktop. I would bring my daughters Laptop. That has only LR. Will check, I can also get a trial version of PS CS6 when you come to holy Swissyland. That is not a prob at all :w3

Have fun with your thoughts on your images.

have a great evening

Ciao
Anette

Steve Kaluski
07-10-2013, 12:19 PM
Not quite the route to go and I bet it's all 'Global' selection too. :S3: It's a bit hard to try and explain, but really simple to do, if you have LR then that's fine, might bring mine as it's fully loaded and you can get to see how things work, just remind me!!!!

Had to swop back to te MKIV this week :Whoa!: the 2x is pants, bang it back on the 1DX works a treat, locks on too, but then that might also be how it's set up in the menu. I would strongly suggest you higher it for September's trip. If you do, then bring it along too, I will set it up for you.

Anette Mossbacher
07-10-2013, 02:10 PM
No Global selections, did Mid Tone luminosity...etc. Dodge/burn the shadows a bit on Lights, 'Hue/Sat layers mask', Channel Mixer on Mid Tone, Levels was Global :w3

I reserved the 1DX already for September trip. Will get it for a few days on a weekend after our Holidays. To check it out, get used to it and for sure to love it. No idea how to set it up. I assume our Noah's arc has to do some work again :bg3::bg3:Will try to bring it along when I see you.
For sure I do. You have the know how with set up. I would start from scratch, well would start with my MKIV settings and from there to find out more!!
But always happy when you help me with that.... more Milka Bars will come :w3

Just do not make me responsible for all the workout you have to do after the Milka Bars :w3

John Ippolito
07-10-2013, 03:11 PM
H Anette,

Lovely composition, with the trailing water from the muzzle. The repost really pops the hyena. Nice coat and texture on this as well. Well done. TFS.

Anette Mossbacher
07-11-2013, 02:51 AM
Thank you very much John. Glad that I made it in the RP, with help from Steve and the others from above :bg3:

Have a great day

Ciao

Anette