PDA

View Full Version : Common Loon.

Karl Egressy
07-07-2013, 06:55 PM
This image was taken early morning shooting against the sun direction, which was behind heavy clouds.
I was pleasantly surprised that the image(s) came out sharp despite hand holding the 400 f 5.6 L.
The water was having many white streaks that I cloned out. Selective NR and sharpening.
Thanks for looking.

Canon 7D
Canon 400 f5.6 L
ISO 800
f5.6
1/250 s

Mike Delgado
07-07-2013, 07:30 PM
What an awesome capture. I need to travel to Canada!

Randy Stout
07-07-2013, 07:40 PM
Karl:

The soft backlighting really made the drops pop. The texture on the head and neck looks a bit too smooth, possibly a little motion artifact vs. NR.

Nice head angle.

Did you do any eye doctor work?

Glad you got out with him. Boat, kayak, shore?

Cheers

Randy

dankearl
07-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Karl, sweet shot!
Since you removed a bunch of white streaks (I hate them when I get them all the time), I would remove the big one to the left of the Loon.
I also think it needs a bit of rotation, the head is level but the water is not.
Just a tad.
Nice photo...

Karl Egressy
07-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Karl:

The soft backlighting really made the drops pop. The texture on the head and neck looks a bit too smooth, possibly a little motion artifact vs. NR.

Nice head angle.

Did you do any eye doctor work?

Glad you got out with him. Boat, kayak, shore?

Cheers

Randy

Thanks Randy. Shot from shore. No eye doctoring at all.
Did some shooting from a canoe at an other Lake but found only one sitting on the nest.
It wasn't my best trip to Algonquin as the weather was very bad.

Satish Ranadive
07-07-2013, 11:52 PM
Wonderful image with great panorama crop. Love the HA, colors,nice details and beautiful water droplets around the face.

Regards,
Satish.

Greg Oakley
07-08-2013, 03:02 AM
Lovely image Karl - great pose and water droplets. I'd possibly clone out some of the distracting white highlights on the water,
Cheers, Greg

Daniel Cadieux
07-08-2013, 08:43 AM
I love the sleek look to this individual. Exposure looks good, greens very nice. I agree about removing that brighter white line above the subject's back and for some CCW rotation.

Randy Stout
07-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Karl:
Thanks for your info. In re; to the eye, I was just struck by the degree of saturation of the red. Must have been the lighting conditions.

Cheers

Randy

Jim Crosswell
07-08-2013, 09:40 AM
I like the body angle, exposure, sharpness and water colour. I agree with Dan and Daniels suggestion. Well done Karl!

Karl Egressy
07-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Karl:
Thanks for your info. In re; to the eye, I was just struck by the degree of saturation of the red. Must have been the lighting conditions.

Cheers

Randy
Thanks, Randy.
As you mentioned the red of the eye, I did increase the saturation of the overall picture and did go to Color Balance and moved the sliders towards the red and yellow to warm the image up.
However, the classic eye doctoring was not done. (Linear burn, linear Dodge)

Karl Egressy
07-08-2013, 10:06 AM
I love the sleek look to this individual. Exposure looks good, greens very nice. I agree about removing that brighter white line above the subject's back and for some CCW rotation.

Thanks, Daniel.
I got rid off the lines and did a slight CCW rotation.