PDA

View Full Version : Red Naped Sapsucker

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
07-07-2013, 05:17 PM
I took this Red-naped Sapsucker in Wyoming a couple of weeks ago. I like the shot but I must say that the tree he was nesting in is such great camo that you can hardly see the bird. Anyone have any ideas how I might be able to make the bird stand out a little better besides take it with a different background. Any thought that you might have on the image in general would be really appreciated as your help has made me a much improved photographer. Shooting info follows: Nikon D4 2013:06:23 12:23:06
200-400mm @ 400mm
400mm (in 35mm film)
1/800 sec, f/5
Mode: Manual
Metering: Multi-segment
ISO: 800
AF mode: AF-C
White balance: SUNNY+2
Flash: Off
File size: 20.4MB
Image size: 4992 x 3292
Color space: AdobeRGB
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Contrast: Normal

Daniel Cadieux
07-08-2013, 09:08 AM
Hey Wheeler, that is an awesome find! Good head angle here, as if this fella is trying to show off its bill full of insects! I don't mid the tree at all, but to answer your question if you'd like the subject to stand out more you'll likely need to move to your left to get a more sideways view of the nest...this way when the subject would perch it would be set off against a more distant BG a pop nicely. I realize it may be difficult to move though. Perhaps you can try the same from the other side if the light angle allows it. As posted I'd prefer more room top and bottom.

jack williamson
07-08-2013, 04:28 PM
Excellent exposure on the blacks and reds Wheeler, plenty sharp. I don't mind the tree trunk at all. Good advice from Daniel.

Jack

Marina Scarr
07-08-2013, 09:18 PM
This is a killer image and what an amazing looking WP. Great angle on the bird with a lot of details and great colors.