PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop Image resize question.

Simon Wantling
07-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Hi, I've just upgraded from photoshop elements to the new photoshop CC. Compared to elements when I resize an image down in photoshop it seems to become very sharp and doesn't look right. Am I missing something here. I've got the algorithm set to automatic but I'm not sure i like how photoshop reduces the image size. Can anyone advise at all.

thanks

John Chardine
07-06-2013, 08:59 PM
Hi Simon- In Photoshop you can set the method of resizing in at least two places- in the Preferences (under General, Image interplolation) and in Image->Image size. Bicubic sharper does exactly what you are describing and although Ps recommends it for "reduction", I don't use it because it introduces sharpening into the process. I've never seen a place in Ps where you can set this to Automatic. I use Bicubic smoother and have never had a problem.

Diane Miller
07-06-2013, 09:42 PM
PS CS 6 has the choice of Bicubic Automatic in the image size dialog. It's supposed to decide how best to handle things based on your resizing amount and direction.

I do all my resizing in LR for JPEG and other output options (except for printing, which is thru PS) and never see any degradation from the PS file. For printing from PS, I've always used Smoother in the past, and now use Automatic, with no reason to be displeased. Maybe I should look more closely.

Don Lacy
07-09-2013, 08:17 PM
It sounds like John is right Simon automatic is choosing the Bicubic sharper method when downsizing in your dialog box you need to chose either Bicubic Smoother or Bicubic ( the method I prefer) this will correct the issue you are seeing.

Ed Cordes
07-14-2013, 09:33 PM
Whenever you resize an image down you are throwing away pixels and therefore need to do some sharpening to compensate. This is why PS uses the algorithm it does for downsizing. However I like to use Bicubic smoother and then add a sharpening layer using PK Sharpener or IK Define to do the compensating. I guess I am a control freak, but I do have total control using this method.

Don Lacy
07-17-2013, 11:53 AM
Whenever you resize an image down you are throwing away pixels and therefore need to do some sharpening to compensate. This is why PS uses the algorithm it does for downsizing. However I like to use Bicubic smoother and then add a sharpening layer using PK Sharpener or IK Define to do the compensating. I guess I am a control freak, but I do have total control using this method.
PS will apply global sharpening and it is why I will not allow it to think for me your method will always give the best results.

Simon Wantling
07-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I took the advice and thats much better so thanks very much for that. Have to say I'm liking PS CC a lot.