PDA

View Full Version : Another bug for the 'bug people'

Jerry van Dijk
07-05-2013, 04:23 PM
After having been called 'bug crowd' by Artie, I couldn't resist posting another one (I actually planned to post a flower before I read his tulip post) :t3.
I finally managed to get a decent image of a pond skater on my trip to Extremadura. Usually, they are too fast for me. These ones were to busy finding a mate and fighting off competitors, that they took little notice of me.
I deliberately chose to show a lot of surrounding, because I liked the play of light in the water and to show some of this species flowing habitat (at was in a small river rather then a pond). I made a closer crop that I found much less interesting, but I like to hear your thoughts as well.

D7000, 200mm Micro, handheld, ISO-500, f/8, 1/400 sec, EV -1.
Minor PP work in ACR.

Steve Maxson
07-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Hi jerry. This is a species I have yet to photograph - after seeing this, I may have to give it a try. :S3: I love the eye-level view you captured and the colors in the water are very cool - as is the reflection. I also like the fade to dark (but not black) at the top of the frame. The comp works for me, as presented. I'm viewing this on my laptop - there seems to be some noise in the water. I might suggest doing some selective nr on the water to smooth it out more. Were you lying flat on your belly to get this shot? This is well done!

shane shacaluga
07-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Great shot of a very difficult subject. Like that you kept the surrounding water too.

Thanks for sharing

Mitch Haimov
07-06-2013, 03:11 PM
I think this works very well as framed! I don't think a tight crop would be as compelling. The the play of light and the colors in the water add a lot of interest. As usual, the eye-level POV draws the viewer in. Congrats.

Jonathan Ashton
07-06-2013, 03:14 PM
Jerry I have taken dozens of shot of pond skaters in my garden pond but not one comes close to this. Love the low angle and the light playing on the surface - your copyright signature is pretty cool too!! Well done.

Jerry van Dijk
07-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Were you lying flat on your belly to get this shot? This is well done!
Let's just say I was in an awkward position and got very muddy in the process :bg3:!
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on the composition and the compliments. Here's a version with NR ran on the water.

Allen Sparks
07-07-2013, 03:58 AM
Hi Jerry, I really like the composition here and the light and colors on the water are terrific. Showing more of the water worked very well. Well done. - Allen